POP3/SMTP scripts

----- Forwarded message from owner-mixminion-dev@freehaven.net -----

To: mixminion-dev@freehaven.net
Cc: George.Danezis@cl.cam.ac.uk
Subject: POP3/SMTP scripts
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:18:18 +0000
From: George Danezis <George.Danezis@cl.cam.ac.uk>

Dear all,

I have checked in the /etc directory of the mixminion distribution a set of
python scripts that pretend to be an SMTP server that anonymises all outgoing
mail, and a POP3 server that decodes all incoming mail. Right now the
mixminion binary is invoked for all the mixminion function.

Another interesting feature is that it allows for a transparent use of single
use reply blocks. When a message containing a SURB is received the SURB is put
in a repository, and a fictional email address is included in the "from:"
fields. When a user replies to the email (using the SMTP proxy) the fictional
address is stripped out and the message is routed through mixminion using the
SURB. The user never has to manipulate SURBs directly. In addition to that a
SURB is automatically included in all outgoing anonymous messages (there are
security issues with this, but let's see how it goes).

I was interested in your views on how you feel about this usage paradigm. I
have tested it with Mozilla and thunderbird: they make it easy to create
profiles using different servers so an "anonymous" profile is easy to create
and use. It avoid the anonymity community the task of creating custom email
clients, or specialized plug-ins. It also give us the opportunity to support
more functionality such as nym servers in the future.

The scripts necessary for running the proxies are:
IMAPproxy.py  minionProxy.py  minionSMTP.py  mmUtils.py  pop3d.py
and
python minionProxy.py --help
provides some initial guidance.

Looking forward to your comments,