Re: Anti-DoS prevention [was Re: Comments on minion-spec.txt]

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 22:51, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> So, I put your question back to you, and to the list: *are* these
> defenses up to the challenge?  What *other* filtering and MTA features
> do current remops use to prevent abuse and DoS?  We should definitely
> draw on the experiences of today's operator community, and not enter the
> arms race undermatched.

We need untracable electronic cash to use as postage stamps.

If you're using TCP, you can limit the total number of connections from
a single address and throttle communications to prevent DoS from a
single host. This could even be done on a /24 basis or whatever to
mitigate attacks from a single LAN. DDoS is a little more difficult to
prevent. It seems like it will probably always be possible to degrade
service if the attacker has control of a sufficient number of hosts on
different networks. I think the best thing to do is to try to degrade as
gracefully as possible under high load.

--
If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:
<http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=kg6cvv>