Re: The status and future of Mixminion network

On Sat, 2007-09-15 at 02:24 -0700, Len Sassaman wrote:
> We're definitely seeing an attempted DOS attack against the Mixmaster
> network, though 2/3 of them are still above 98% reliability, according to
> my stats.
>
> http://stats.melontraffickers.com/
>
> Perhaps the attack is against both networks? In any case, remops running
> Mixminion should upgrade with the latest bugfixes that Nick recently made,
> as they directly affect remailer stability.

Hi Len,

you hit return just before me, so I simply add few things
 to your message.

The Mixmaster flood we saw in the last two weeks
 is unprecedented, as volume of mail that flow
 *successfully* throught the remailer.
Most trafficked ones remailers a tenfold raise of their
 normal traffic for days; George peaked as 60K message
 a day.

The only (strange) measure I took was stopping
 nilsimsa, that was completely uneffective against
 the flood but was responsible of a too hight
 load on cpu. Done this, also considering
 that most of remailer now had better connectivity
 than a couple of years ago, I was surprised
 how well a lot of remailer survived against this flood.

I'm surprised (negatively) of the lack of any public
 reaction of remops community, that didn't share any info
 to better react to the flood, and didn't react at
 all as "community" .

Another thing.
I wrote a mail in the Mixminion list because I suspect
 that a different Dos was attempted against the mixminion
 network.

No correlation seems to exist between software version
 and surviving nodes.
Now more that 60% of nodes are down,
 but once more no reaction at all comes from
 the operators.

I'm positively concerned for this lack of reactions
 and mutual help from both community.

Any opinion ?   Ciao.   Marco

P.S. I crosspost this to the Mixminion list

--

+--------------- http://www.winstonsmith.info ---------------+
| il Progetto Winston Smith: scolleghiamo il Grande Fratello |