Tor 0.1.1.20 is released

Tor 0.1.1.20, the first stable release of the 0.1.1.x branch, is
finally ready.

This release features some major security fixes, including entry guards
to protect the beginning of the circuit, exit enclaves to protect the
end, and better firewall support; a new directory protocol that improves
bandwidth use and keeps clients more up to date; two new directory
authorities; a new ascii-based controller protocol that lets people
easily write applications to interact with Tor; and many scalability
and performance improvements.

http://tor.eff.org/download.html

Changes in version 0.1.1.20 - 2006-05-23
  o Crash and assert fixes from 0.1.0.17:
    - Fix assert bug in close_logs() on exit: when we close and delete
      logs, remove them all from the global "logfiles" list.
    - Fix an assert error when we're out of space in the connection_list
      and we try to post a hidden service descriptor (reported by Peter
      Palfrader).
    - Fix a rare assert error when we've tried all intro points for
      a hidden service and we try fetching the service descriptor again:
      "Assertion conn->state != AP_CONN_STATE_RENDDESC_WAIT failed".
    - Setconf SocksListenAddress kills Tor if it fails to bind. Now back
      out and refuse the setconf if it would fail.
    - If you specify a relative torrc path and you set RunAsDaemon in
      your torrc, then it chdir()'s to the new directory. If you then
      HUP, it tries to load the new torrc location, fails, and exits.
      The fix: no longer allow a relative path to torrc when using -f.
    - Check for integer overflows in more places, when adding elements
      to smartlists. This could possibly prevent a buffer overflow
      on malicious huge inputs.

  o Security fixes, major:
    - When we're printing strings from the network, don't try to print
      non-printable characters. Now we're safer against shell escape
      sequence exploits, and also against attacks to fool users into
      misreading their logs.
    - Implement entry guards: automatically choose a handful of entry
      nodes and stick with them for all circuits. Only pick new guards
      when the ones you have are unsuitable, and if the old guards
      become suitable again, switch back. This will increase security
      dramatically against certain end-point attacks. The EntryNodes
      config option now provides some hints about which entry guards you
      want to use most; and StrictEntryNodes means to only use those.
      Fixes CVE-2006-0414.
    - Implement exit enclaves: if we know an IP address for the
      destination, and there's a running Tor server at that address
      which allows exit to the destination, then extend the circuit to
      that exit first. This provides end-to-end encryption and end-to-end
      authentication. Also, if the user wants a .exit address or enclave,
      use 4 hops rather than 3, and cannibalize a general circ for it
      if you can.
    - Obey our firewall options more faithfully:
      . If we can't get to a dirserver directly, try going via Tor.
      . Don't ever try to connect (as a client) to a place our
        firewall options forbid.
      . If we specify a proxy and also firewall options, obey the
        firewall options even when we're using the proxy: some proxies
        can only proxy to certain destinations.
    - Make clients regenerate their keys when their IP address changes.
    - For the OS X package's modified privoxy config file, comment
      out the "logfile" line so we don't log everything passed
      through privoxy.
    - Our TLS handshakes were generating a single public/private
      keypair for the TLS context, rather than making a new one for
      each new connection. Oops. (But we were still rotating them
      periodically, so it's not so bad.)
    - When we were cannibalizing a circuit with a particular exit
      node in mind, we weren't checking to see if that exit node was
      already present earlier in the circuit. Now we are.
    - Require server descriptors to list IPv4 addresses -- hostnames
      are no longer allowed. This also fixes potential vulnerabilities
      to servers providing hostnames as their address and then
      preferentially resolving them so they can partition users.
    - Our logic to decide if the OR we connected to was the right guy
      was brittle and maybe open to a mitm for invalid routers.

  o Security fixes, minor:
    - Adjust tor-spec.txt to parameterize cell and key lengths. Now
      Ian Goldberg can prove things about our handshake protocol more
      easily.
    - Make directory authorities generate a separate "guard" flag to
      mean "would make a good entry guard". Clients now honor the
      is_guard flag rather than looking at is_fast or is_stable.
    - Try to list MyFamily elements by key, not by nickname, and warn
      if we've not heard of a server.
    - Start using RAND_bytes rather than RAND_pseudo_bytes from
      OpenSSL. Also, reseed our entropy every hour, not just at
      startup. And add entropy in 512-bit chunks, not 160-bit chunks.
    - Refuse server descriptors where the fingerprint line doesn't match
      the included identity key. Tor doesn't care, but other apps (and
      humans) might actually be trusting the fingerprint line.
    - We used to kill the circuit when we receive a relay command we
      don't recognize. Now we just drop that cell.
    - Fix a bug found by Lasse Overlier: when we were making internal
      circuits (intended to be cannibalized later for rendezvous and
      introduction circuits), we were picking them so that they had
      useful exit nodes. There was no need for this, and it actually
      aids some statistical attacks.
    - Start treating internal circuits and exit circuits separately.
      It's important to keep them separate because internal circuits
      have their last hops picked like middle hops, rather than like
      exit hops. So exiting on them will break the user's expectations.
    - Fix a possible way to DoS dirservers.
    - When the client asked for a rendezvous port that the hidden
      service didn't want to provide, we were sending an IP address
      back along with the end cell. Fortunately, it was zero. But stop
      that anyway.

  o Packaging improvements:
    - Implement --with-libevent-dir option to ./configure. Improve
      search techniques to find libevent, and use those for openssl too.
    - Fix a couple of bugs in OpenSSL detection. Deal better when
      there are multiple SSLs installed with different versions.
    - Avoid warnings about machine/limits.h on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD.
    - On non-gcc compilers (e.g. Solaris's cc), use "-g -O" instead of
      "-Wall -g -O2".
    - Make unit tests (and other invocations that aren't the real Tor)
      run without launching listeners, creating subdirectories, and so on.
    - The OS X installer was adding a symlink for tor_resolve but
      the binary was called tor-resolve (reported by Thomas Hardly).
    - Now we can target arch and OS in rpm builds (contributed by
      Phobos). Also make the resulting dist-rpm filename match the
      target arch.
    - Apply Matt Ghali's --with-syslog-facility patch to ./configure
      if you log to syslog and want something other than LOG_DAEMON.
    - Fix the torify (tsocks) config file to not use Tor for localhost
      connections.
    - Start shipping socks-extensions.txt, tor-doc-unix.html,
      tor-doc-server.html, and stylesheet.css in the tarball.
    - Stop shipping tor-doc.html, INSTALL, and README in the tarball.
      They are useless now.
    - Add Peter Palfrader's contributed check-tor script. It lets you
      easily check whether a given server (referenced by nickname)
      is reachable by you.
    - Add BSD-style contributed startup script "rc.subr" from Peter
      Thoenen.

  o Directory improvements -- new directory protocol:
    - See tor/doc/dir-spec.txt for all the juicy details. Key points:
    - Authorities and caches publish individual descriptors (by
      digest, by fingerprint, by "all", and by "tell me yours").
    - Clients don't download or use the old directory anymore. Now they
      download network-statuses from the directory authorities, and
      fetch individual server descriptors as needed from mirrors.
    - Clients don't download descriptors of non-running servers.
    - Download descriptors by digest, not by fingerprint. Caches try to
      download all listed digests from authorities; clients try to
      download "best" digests from caches. This avoids partitioning
      and isolating attacks better.
    - Only upload a new server descriptor when options change, 18
      hours have passed, uptime is reset, or bandwidth changes a lot.
    - Directory authorities silently throw away new descriptors that
      haven't changed much if the timestamps are similar. We do this to
      tolerate older Tor servers that upload a new descriptor every 15
      minutes. (It seemed like a good idea at the time.)
    - Clients choose directory servers from the network status lists,
      not from their internal list of router descriptors. Now they can
      go to caches directly rather than needing to go to authorities
      to bootstrap the first set of descriptors.
    - When picking a random directory, prefer non-authorities if any
      are known.
    - Add a new flag to network-status indicating whether the server
      can answer v2 directory requests too.
    - Directory mirrors now cache up to 16 unrecognized network-status
      docs, so new directory authorities will be cached too.
    - Stop parsing, storing, or using running-routers output (but
      mirrors still cache and serve it).
    - Clients consider a threshold of "versioning" directory authorities
      before deciding whether to warn the user that he's obsolete.
    - Authorities publish separate sorted lists of recommended versions
      for clients and for servers.
    - Change DirServers config line to note which dirs are v1 authorities.
    - Put nicknames on the DirServer line, so we can refer to them
      without requiring all our users to memorize their IP addresses.
    - Remove option when getting directory cache to see whether they
      support running-routers; they all do now. Replace it with one
      to see whether caches support v2 stuff.
    - Stop listing down or invalid nodes in the v1 directory. This
      reduces its bulk by about 1/3, and reduces load on mirrors.
    - Mirrors no longer cache the v1 directory as often.
    - If we as a directory mirror don't know of any v1 directory
      authorities, then don't try to cache any v1 directories.

  o Other directory improvements:
    - Add lefkada.eecs.harvard.edu and tor.dizum.com as fourth and
      fifth authoritative directory servers.
    - Directory authorities no longer require an open connection from
      a server to consider him "reachable". We need this change because
      when we add new directory authorities, old servers won't know not
      to hang up on them.
    - Dir authorities now do their own external reachability testing
      of each server, and only list as running the ones they found to
      be reachable. We also send back warnings to the server's logs if
      it uploads a descriptor that we already believe is unreachable.
    - Spread the directory authorities' reachability testing over the
      entire testing interval, so we don't try to do 500 TLS's at once
      every 20 minutes.
    - Make the "stable" router flag in network-status be the median of
      the uptimes of running valid servers, and make clients pay
      attention to the network-status flags. Thus the cutoff adapts
      to the stability of the network as a whole, making IRC, IM, etc
      connections more reliable.
    - Make the v2 dir's "Fast" flag based on relative capacity, just
      like "Stable" is based on median uptime. Name everything in the
      top 7/8 Fast, and only the top 1/2 gets to be a Guard.
    - Retry directory requests if we fail to get an answer we like
      from a given dirserver (we were retrying before, but only if
      we fail to connect).
    - Return a robots.txt on our dirport to discourage google indexing.

  o Controller protocol improvements:
    - Revised controller protocol (version 1) that uses ascii rather
      than binary: tor/doc/control-spec.txt. Add supporting libraries
      in python and java and c# so you can use the controller from your
      applications without caring how our protocol works.
    - Allow the DEBUG controller event to work again. Mark certain log
      entries as "don't tell this to controllers", so we avoid cycles.
    - New controller function "getinfo accounting", to ask how
      many bytes we've used in this time period.
    - Add a "resetconf" command so you can set config options like
      AllowUnverifiedNodes and LongLivedPorts to "". Also, if you give
      a config option in the torrc with no value, then it clears it
      entirely (rather than setting it to its default).
    - Add a "getinfo config-file" to tell us where torrc is. Also
      expose guard nodes, config options/names.
    - Add a "quit" command (when when using the controller manually).
    - Add a new signal "newnym" to "change pseudonyms" -- that is, to
      stop using any currently-dirty circuits for new streams, so we
      don't link new actions to old actions. This also occurs on HUP
      or "signal reload".
    - If we would close a stream early (e.g. it asks for a .exit that
      we know would refuse it) but the LeaveStreamsUnattached config
      option is set by the controller, then don't close it.
    - Add a new controller event type "authdir_newdescs" that allows
      controllers to get all server descriptors that were uploaded to
      a router in its role as directory authority.
    - New controller option "getinfo desc/all-recent" to fetch the
      latest server descriptor for every router that Tor knows about.
    - Fix the controller's "attachstream 0" command to treat conn like
      it just connected, doing address remapping, handling .exit and
      .onion idioms, and so on. Now we're more uniform in making sure
      that the controller hears about new and closing connections.
    - Permit transitioning from ORPort==0 to ORPort!=0, and back, from
      the controller. Also, rotate dns and cpu workers if the controller
      changes options that will affect them; and initialize the dns
      worker cache tree whether or not we start out as a server.
    - Add a new circuit purpose 'controller' to let the controller ask
      for a circuit that Tor won't try to use. Extend the "extendcircuit"
      controller command to let you specify the purpose if you're starting
      a new circuit.  Add a new "setcircuitpurpose" controller command to
      let you change a circuit's purpose after it's been created.
    - Let the controller ask for "getinfo dir/server/foo" so it can ask
      directly rather than connecting to the dir port. "getinfo
      dir/status/foo" also works, but currently only if your DirPort
      is enabled.
    - Let the controller tell us about certain router descriptors
      that it doesn't want Tor to use in circuits. Implement
      "setrouterpurpose" and modify "+postdescriptor" to do this.
    - If the controller's *setconf commands fail, collect an error
      message in a string and hand it back to the controller -- don't
      just tell them to go read their logs.

  o Scalability, resource management, and performance:
    - Fix a major load balance bug: we were round-robin reading in 16 KB
      chunks, and servers with bandwidthrate of 20 KB, while downloading
      a 600 KB directory, would starve their other connections. Now we
      try to be a bit more fair.
    - Be more conservative about whether to advertise our DirPort.
      The main change is to not advertise if we're running at capacity
      and either a) we could hibernate ever or b) our capacity is low
      and we're using a default DirPort.
    - We weren't cannibalizing circuits correctly for
      CIRCUIT_PURPOSE_C_ESTABLISH_REND and
      CIRCUIT_PURPOSE_S_ESTABLISH_INTRO, so we were being forced to
      build those from scratch. This should make hidden services faster.
    - Predict required circuits better, with an eye toward making hidden
      services faster on the service end.
    - Compress exit policies even more: look for duplicate lines and
      remove them.
    - Generate 18.0.0.0/8 address policy format in descs when we can;
      warn when the mask is not reducible to a bit-prefix.
    - There used to be two ways to specify your listening ports in a
      server descriptor: on the "router" line and with a separate "ports"
      line. Remove support for the "ports" line.
    - Reduce memory requirements in our structs by changing the order
      of fields. Replace balanced trees with hash tables. Inline
      bottleneck smartlist functions. Add a "Map from digest to void*"
      abstraction so we can do less hex encoding/decoding, and use it
      in router_get_by_digest(). Many other CPU and memory improvements.
    - Allow tor_gzip_uncompress to extract as much as possible from
      truncated compressed data. Try to extract as many
      descriptors as possible from truncated http responses (when
      purpose is DIR_PURPOSE_FETCH_ROUTERDESC).
    - Make circ->onionskin a pointer, not a static array. moria2 was using
      125000 circuit_t's after it had been up for a few weeks, which
      translates to 20+ megs of wasted space.
    - The private half of our EDH handshake keys are now chosen out
      of 320 bits, not 1024 bits. (Suggested by Ian Goldberg.)
    - Stop doing the complex voodoo overkill checking for insecure
      Diffie-Hellman keys. Just check if it's in [2,p-2] and be happy.
    - Do round-robin writes for TLS of at most 16 kB per write. This
      might be more fair on loaded Tor servers.
    - Do not use unaligned memory access on alpha, mips, or mipsel.
      It *works*, but is very slow, so we treat them as if it doesn't.

  o Other bugfixes and improvements:
    - Start storing useful information to $DATADIR/state, so we can
      remember things across invocations of Tor. Retain unrecognized
      lines so we can be forward-compatible, and write a TorVersion line
      so we can be backward-compatible.
    - If ORPort is set, Address is not explicitly set, and our hostname
      resolves to a private IP address, try to use an interface address
      if it has a public address. Now Windows machines that think of
      themselves as localhost can guess their address.
    - Regenerate our local descriptor if it's dirty and we try to use
      it locally (e.g. if it changes during reachability detection).
      This was causing some Tor servers to keep publishing the same
      initial descriptor forever.
    - Tor servers with dynamic IP addresses were needing to wait 18
      hours before they could start doing reachability testing using
      the new IP address and ports. This is because they were using
      the internal descriptor to learn what to test, yet they were only
      rebuilding the descriptor once they decided they were reachable.
    - It turns out we couldn't bootstrap a network since we added
      reachability detection in 0.1.0.1-rc. Good thing the Tor network
      has never gone down. Add an AssumeReachable config option to let
      servers and authorities bootstrap. When we're trying to build a
      high-uptime or high-bandwidth circuit but there aren't enough
      suitable servers, try being less picky rather than simply failing.
    - Newly bootstrapped Tor networks couldn't establish hidden service
      circuits until they had nodes with high uptime. Be more tolerant.
    - Really busy servers were keeping enough circuits open on stable
      connections that they were wrapping around the circuit_id
      space. (It's only two bytes.) This exposed a bug where we would
      feel free to reuse a circuit_id even if it still exists but has
      been marked for close. Try to fix this bug. Some bug remains.
    - When we fail to bind or listen on an incoming or outgoing
      socket, we now close it before refusing, rather than just
      leaking it. (Thanks to Peter Palfrader for finding.)
    - Fix a file descriptor leak in start_daemon().
    - On Windows, you can't always reopen a port right after you've
      closed it. So change retry_listeners() to only close and re-open
      ports that have changed.
    - Workaround a problem with some http proxies that refuse GET
      requests that specify "Content-Length: 0". Reported by Adrian.
    - Recover better from TCP connections to Tor servers that are
      broken but don't tell you (it happens!); and rotate TLS
      connections once a week.
    - Fix a scary-looking but apparently harmless bug where circuits
      would sometimes start out in state CIRCUIT_STATE_OR_WAIT at
      servers, and never switch to state CIRCUIT_STATE_OPEN.
    - Check for even more Windows version flags when writing the platform
      string in server descriptors, and note any we don't recognize.
    - Add reasons to DESTROY and RELAY_TRUNCATED cells, so clients can
      get a better idea of why their circuits failed. Not used yet.
    - Add TTLs to RESOLVED, CONNECTED, and END_REASON_EXITPOLICY cells.
      We don't use them yet, but maybe one day our DNS resolver will be
      able to discover them.
    - Let people type "tor --install" as well as "tor -install" when they
      want to make it an NT service.
    - Looks like we were never delivering deflated (i.e. compressed)
      running-routers lists, even when asked. Oops.
    - We were leaking some memory every time the client changed IPs.
    - Clean up more of the OpenSSL memory when exiting, so we can detect
      memory leaks better.
    - Never call free() on tor_malloc()d memory. This will help us
      use dmalloc to detect memory leaks.
    - Some Tor servers process billions of cells per day. These
      statistics are now uint64_t's.
    - Check [X-]Forwarded-For headers in HTTP requests when generating
      log messages. This lets people run dirservers (and caches) behind
      Apache but still know which IP addresses are causing warnings.
    - Fix minor integer overflow in calculating when we expect to use up
      our bandwidth allocation before hibernating.
    - Lower the minimum required number of file descriptors to 1000,
      so we can have some overhead for Valgrind on Linux, where the
      default ulimit -n is 1024.
    - Stop writing the "router.desc" file, ever. Nothing uses it anymore,
      and its existence is confusing some users.

  o Config option fixes:
    - Add a new config option ExitPolicyRejectPrivate which defaults
      to on. Now all exit policies will begin with rejecting private
      addresses, unless the server operator explicitly turns it off.
    - Bump the default bandwidthrate to 3 MB, and burst to 6 MB.
    - Add new ReachableORAddresses and ReachableDirAddresses options
      that understand address policies. FascistFirewall is now a synonym
      for "ReachableORAddresses *:443", "ReachableDirAddresses *:80".
    - Start calling it FooListenAddress rather than FooBindAddress,
      since few of our users know what it means to bind an address
      or port.
    - If the user gave Tor an odd number of command-line arguments,
      we were silently ignoring the last one. Now we complain and fail.
      This wins the oldest-bug prize -- this bug has been present since
      November 2002, as released in Tor 0.0.0.
    - If you write "HiddenServicePort 6667 127.0.0.1 6668" in your
      torrc rather than "HiddenServicePort 6667 127.0.0.1:6668",
      it would silently ignore the 6668.
    - If we get a linelist or linelist_s config option from the torrc,
      e.g. ExitPolicy, and it has no value, warn and skip rather than
      silently resetting it to its default.
    - Setconf was appending items to linelists, not clearing them.
    - Add MyFamily to torrc.sample in the server section, so operators
      will be more likely to learn that it exists.
    - Make ContactInfo mandatory for authoritative directory servers.
    - MaxConn has been obsolete for a while now. Document the ConnLimit
      config option, which is a *minimum* number of file descriptors
      that must be available else Tor refuses to start.
    - Get rid of IgnoreVersion undocumented config option, and make us
      only warn, never exit, when we're running an obsolete version.
    - Make MonthlyAccountingStart config option truly obsolete now.
    - Correct the man page entry on TrackHostExitsExpire.
    - Let directory authorities start even if they don't specify an
      Address config option.
    - Change "AllowUnverifiedNodes" to "AllowInvalidNodes", to
      reflect the updated flags in our v2 dir protocol.

  o Config option features:
    - Add a new config option FastFirstHopPK (on by default) so clients
      do a trivial crypto handshake for their first hop, since TLS has
      already taken care of confidentiality and authentication.
    - Let the user set ControlListenAddress in the torrc. This can be
      dangerous, but there are some cases (like a secured LAN) where it
      makes sense.
    - New config options to help controllers: FetchServerDescriptors
      and FetchHidServDescriptors for whether to fetch server
      info and hidserv info or let the controller do it, and
      PublishServerDescriptor and PublishHidServDescriptors.
    - Also let the controller set the __AllDirActionsPrivate config
      option if you want all directory fetches/publishes to happen via
      Tor (it assumes your controller bootstraps your circuits).
    - Add "HardwareAccel" config option: support for crypto hardware
      accelerators via OpenSSL. Off by default, until we find somebody
      smart who can test it for us. (It appears to produce seg faults
      in at least some cases.)
    - New config option "AuthDirRejectUnlisted" for directory authorities
      as a panic button: if we get flooded with unusable servers we can
      revert to only listing servers in the approved-routers file.
    - Directory authorities can now reject/invalidate by key and IP,
      with the config options "AuthDirInvalid" and "AuthDirReject", or
      by marking a fingerprint as "!reject" or "!invalid" (as its
      nickname) in the approved-routers file. This is useful since
      currently we automatically list servers as running and usable
      even if we know they're jerks.
    - Add a new config option TestSocks so people can see whether their
      applications are using socks4, socks4a, socks5-with-ip, or
      socks5-with-fqdn. This way they don't have to keep mucking
      with tcpdump and wondering if something got cached somewhere.
    - Add "private:*" as an alias in configuration for policies. Now
      you can simplify your exit policy rather than needing to list
      every single internal or nonroutable network space.
    - Accept "private:*" in routerdesc exit policies; not generated yet
      because older Tors do not understand it.
    - Add configuration option "V1AuthoritativeDirectory 1" which
      moria1, moria2, and tor26 have set.
    - Implement an option, VirtualAddrMask, to set which addresses
      get handed out in response to mapaddress requests. This works
      around a bug in tsocks where 127.0.0.0/8 is never socksified.
    - Add a new config option FetchUselessDescriptors, off by default,
      for when you plan to run "exitlist" on your client and you want
      to know about even the non-running descriptors.
    - SocksTimeout: How long do we let a socks connection wait
      unattached before we fail it?
    - CircuitBuildTimeout: Cull non-open circuits that were born
      at least this many seconds ago.
    - CircuitIdleTimeout: Cull open clean circuits that were born
      at least this many seconds ago.
    - New config option SafeSocks to reject all application connections
      using unsafe socks protocols. Defaults to off.

  o Improved and clearer log messages:
    - Reduce clutter in server logs. We're going to try to make
      them actually usable now. New config option ProtocolWarnings that
      lets you hear about how _other Tors_ are breaking the protocol. Off
      by default.
    - Divide log messages into logging domains. Once we put some sort
      of interface on this, it will let people looking at more verbose
      log levels specify the topics they want to hear more about.
    - Log server fingerprint on startup, so new server operators don't
      have to go hunting around their filesystem for it.
    - Provide dire warnings to any users who set DirServer manually;
      move it out of torrc.sample and into torrc.complete.
    - Make the log message less scary when all the dirservers are
      temporarily unreachable.
    - When tor_socketpair() fails in Windows, give a reasonable
      Windows-style errno back.
    - Improve tor_gettimeofday() granularity on windows.
    - We were printing the number of idle dns workers incorrectly when
      culling them.
    - Handle duplicate lines in approved-routers files without warning.
    - We were whining about using socks4 or socks5-with-local-lookup
      even when it's an IP address in the "virtual" range we designed
      exactly for this case.
    - Check for named servers when looking them up by nickname;
      warn when we're calling a non-named server by its nickname;
      don't warn twice about the same name.
    - Downgrade the dirserver log messages when whining about
      unreachability.
    - Correct "your server is reachable" log entries to indicate that
      it was self-testing that told us so.
    - If we're trying to be a Tor server and running Windows 95/98/ME
      as a server, explain that we'll likely crash.
    - Provide a more useful warn message when our onion queue gets full:
      the CPU is too slow or the exit policy is too liberal.
    - Don't warn when we receive a 503 from a dirserver/cache -- this
      will pave the way for them being able to refuse if they're busy.
    - When we fail to bind a listener, try to provide a more useful
      log message: e.g., "Is Tor already running?"
    - Only start testing reachability once we've established a
      circuit. This will make startup on dir authorities less noisy.
    - Don't try to upload hidden service descriptors until we have
      established a circuit.
    - Tor didn't warn when it failed to open a log file.
    - Warn when listening on a public address for socks. We suspect a
      lot of people are setting themselves up as open socks proxies,
      and they have no idea that jerks on the Internet are using them,
      since they simply proxy the traffic into the Tor network.
    - Give a useful message when people run Tor as the wrong user,
      rather than telling them to start chowning random directories.
    - Fix a harmless bug that was causing Tor servers to log
      "Got an end because of misc error, but we're not an AP. Closing."
    - Fix wrong log message when you add a "HiddenServiceNodes" config
      line without any HiddenServiceDir line (reported by Chris Thomas).
    - Directory authorities now stop whining so loudly about bad
      descriptors that they fetch from other dirservers. So when there's
      a log complaint, it's for sure from a freshly uploaded descriptor.
    - When logging via syslog, include the pid whenever we provide
      a log entry. Suggested by Todd Fries.
    - When we're shutting down and we do something like try to post a
      server descriptor or rendezvous descriptor, don't complain that
      we seem to be unreachable. Of course we are, we're shutting down.
    - Change log line for unreachability to explicitly suggest /etc/hosts
      as the culprit. Also make it clearer what IP address and ports we're
      testing for reachability.
    - Put quotes around user-supplied strings when logging so users are
      more likely to realize if they add bad characters (like quotes)
      to the torrc.
    - NT service patch from Matt Edman to improve error messages on Win32.