Re: [tor-dev] Self Introduction for GSoC 2012

On 4/3/12 5:11 PM, junior wrote:
> Hi Tor Community,

Hi!

> Also I want to know if the project on "Tor Controller Status Event
> Interface for Vidalia" is still available to work on. I particularly
> program in Java and have done some work on UI developements. Also I am
> quite proficient in the english language and can play around with
> photoshop as well. But I don’t really program in c++ though I have
> learnt the basics in skul, so does that disqualify me from working on
> the project. If not, what else must I know prior to the application in
> order to get acquainted with your practices and better understand your
> organizational set up. I will be very glad if help is given me in this
> regard. Thanks a lot.

To be able to work in Vidalia you will mainly need to understand how Qt
works. Vidalia is built upon that framework and its core idioms. Qt is
C++, but you can "avoid" C++ if you work on a plugin which would be in
javascript (but you'll need to understand core Qt concepts).
That being said, both proposed projects need C++.

Regarding the Tor Controller Status Events project, it is still
available in the sense that you can submit a proposal, which doesn't
mean that there aren't more people wanting to work on it.

You should join us on IRC #vidalia (or #tor-dev for general tor
development discussions) at OFTC if you want to get involved with us
regardless of GSoC.

Regards,
Tomás