[tor-dev] WebSocket pluggable transport

Here is a draft of a proposal for a pluggable transport using the
WebSocket protocol. In short, WebSocket is a socket-like feature
accessible to JavaScript in newer web browsers. Here are some links
about it:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6455
http://dev.w3.org/html5/websockets/
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/WebSockets

WebSocket is the transport used by flash proxies (which now use
JavaScript instead of Flash). This pluggable transport is a necessary
part of the flash proxy system as it stands, because something needs
stand between a Tor client and a web browser proxy, and again between
the proxy and a Tor relay. This proposal is mainly describing what is
already implemented in

https://gitweb.torproject.org/flashproxy.git

The program connector.py is the client transport plugin, and for the
server transport plugin I'm using a program called websockify.
(websockify isn't completely satisfactory though, and replacing it is
ticket #5575.) What's implemented works well enough that I have been
using IRC over Tor over a WebSocket transport for about a week.

I want to emphasize that this proposal is not the entirety of the flash
proxy architecture, but only a part of it. I'm posting it here because
1) I want your help in getting it right, and 2) it may be useful beyond
just flash proxies.

Anyone interested in reading the proposal, I'd like to call your
attention to a few points for comment. One is that there are different,
partially incompatible, version of the WebSocket protocol. I have made
the most recent version (RFC 6455) a MUST and any earlier versions a
MAY. However it may be that in a little while browser support will be
such that there is no reason to support old versions. The other is the
base64 subprotocol used to send binary data over a text-only channel.
WebSocket has a fully binary messages, but they are not supported in
Firefox 10. This may be another thing that is changing rapidly enough to
drop, as Firefox 11 and Chrome 16 do support binary messages.

David Fifield
Title: WebSocket pluggable transport
Author: David Fifield

Overview

  This proposal describes the "websocket" pluggable transport for Tor.
  It uses the WebSocket protocol now implemented by many web browsers.
  It is mostly a straightforward description of proxying WebSocket to
  plain TCP, with special consideration for a base64 encoding for agents
  that don't support binary WebSocket frames.

Motivation

  The WebSocket protocol is used by the "flash proxy" system that uses
  web browsers as temporary proxies; browsers may connect to a relay
  that supports this pluggable transport. Additionally, if WebSocket has
  a lot of non-Tor use, it becomes a good target for tunneling, perhaps
  in conjunction with a lower layer of obfuscation. WebSocket commonly
  works over HTTP ports that are likely to get through a firewall.

WebSocket overview

  WebSocket is a protocol (rather, several mostly compatible protocols)
  aimed at exposing socket-like functionality to JavaScript in web
  browsers. It is partially aimed at supplanting techniques such as HTTP
  long polling for clientâserver communication. WebSocket provides
  bidirectional communication between a client and server, sufficient to
  tunnel Tor traffic. A WebSocket session begins with an HTTP Upgrade
  handshake. The socket carries data broken into variable-length
  "messages" which are further broken into "frames." There are
  distinguished frame opcodes that serve to send either data or control
  information. Frames sent by the client (but not the server) are XORed
  with a repeating 32-bit mask that is randomly generated per-frame.

  Broadly speaking, there are two versions of WebSocket: the older
  "hixie" protocol, and the newer "hybi" protocol which is now RFC 6455.
  There are subprotocols within these two versions that differ only in
  small ways: "hixie-75" and "hixie-76"; and "hybi-7", "hybi-10", and
  "hybi-17". The older "hybi" sockets were supported by Firefox 4 and
  Opera 11, but were later disabled because of problems with interaction
  with reverse HTTP proxies. Current versions of Firefox and Chrome
  support "hybi" sockets, while Safari only supports "hixie".

  The "hybi" sockets support text frames and binary frames. Text frames
  may only include UTF-8âencoded text; it is an error if payload doesn't
  decode. Binary frames may contain any binary data. However, not all
  web browsers support binary frames; they were first added to Firefox
  in version 11. The "hixie" sockets have only text frames.

Method name

  The method name of the transport is "websocket". For example, these
  are possible torrc configurations for a client and server,
  respectively:

UseBridges 1
ClientTransportPlugin websocket exec /usr/libexec/tor-websocket-proxy --client --managed
Bridge websocket 198.51.100.1

ServerTransportPlugin websocket exec /usr/libexec/tor-websocket-proxy --server --managed

The base64 subprotocol

  The most convenient way to tunnel data over WebSocket is with binary
  frames, but not all web browsers support binary frames. To work around
  this, the "base64" subprotocol encodes binary data as base64 within
  text frames. A client that knows it does not support binary frames
  requests the base64 subprotocol by including "base64" in the value of
  the Sec-WebSocket-Protocol header field. A server that also supports
  this subprotocol by sending the value "base64" (and only "base64") in
  the Sec-WebSocket-Protocol header field of its response. See under
  "Examples" for example of handshakes like this.

  The base64 encoding is applied at the message level, not the frame
  level. This means, in particular, that any '=' padding occurs only at
  the end of a message, not at the end of each of its constituent
  frames. So, for example, the 5-byte message "Hello", whose base64
  encoding is "SGVsbG8=", may be sent as one text frame as follows:

    0x81 0x08 "SGVsbG8="

  or, for example, as two frames (one of 2 bytes and one of 6 bytes):

    0x01 0x02 "SG" 0x81 0x06 "sbG8="

  When sent by a client, all frames including these must be masked. If
  the masking key is 0x12345678, then the message may be sent as one
  frame like this:

    0x81 0x18 0x12 0x34 0x56 0x78 0x41 0x73 0x00 0x0b 0x70 0x73 0x6e 0x45

Examples

  Here are examples of WebSocket handshakes and the beginning of data
  transfer. The data is the beginning of a Tor connection (i.e., it
  begins with a TLS handshake). Data are shown using C string syntax. ">
  " at the beginning of a line indicates client-to-server communication;
  "< " is server-to-client. "[...]" indicates contents omitted for
  brevity. Newlines in the presentation are not significant. This
  section is non-normative.

  Using "hybi"/RFC 6455 WebSocket with binary frames:

> GET / HTTP/1.1\r\n
> Host: 192.0.2.1:80\r\n
> Origin: https://example.com\r\n
> Sec-WebSocket-Version: 13\r\n
> Sec-WebSocket-Key: mzo2xSF9N8VUxuefqO0RSw==\r\n
> Connection: Upgrade\r\n
> Upgrade: websocket\r\n
> \r\n
< HTTP/1.1 101 Switching Protocols\r\n
< Upgrade: websocket\r\n
< Connection: Upgrade\r\n
< Sec-WebSocket-Accept: fM0KjD7ixoxkl4PEXU6tNaTveSg=\r\n
< \r\n
> \x82\xfe\x01\x04\xc9\xd6\xdd\x29\xdf\xd5\xde\x29\x36\xd7[...]
< \x16\x03\x01\x00\x31\x02\x00\x00\x2d\x03[...]

  Using "hybi"/RFC 6455 WebSocket with the base64 subprotocol:

> GET / HTTP/1.1\r\n
> Host: 192.0.2.1:80\r\n
> Origin: https://example.com\r\n
> Sec-WebSocket-Version: 13\r\n
> Sec-WebSocket-Protocol: base64\r\n
> Sec-WebSocket-Key: k5Ybhw0XBDeBfmda1J9ooQ==\r\n
> Connection: Upgrade\r\n
> Upgrade: websocket\r\n
> \r\n
< HTTP/1.1 101 Switching Protocols\r\n
< Upgrade: websocket\r\n
< Connection: Upgrade\r\n
< Sec-WebSocket-Accept: LYWpflPUHdal8U1BLPXWR3iqUrI=\r\n
< Sec-WebSocket-Protocol: base64\r\n
< \r\n
> \x81\xfe\x01\x58\xbd\x94\x2a\x31\xfb\xf3\x67\x75\xfc\xc4[...]
< \x81\x7e\x04\xd0FgMBADECAA[...]

Considerations specific to pluggable transports

  Endpoints must implement WebSocket according to RFC 6455; for example,
  a server MUST close the connection if it receives an unmasked frame
  from a client, and a client MUST close the connection if it receives a
  masked frame from a server (RFC 6455 section 5.1). There are also
  additional requirements for WebSocket when used as a Tor pluggable
  transport.

  Clients MUST implement the RFC 6455 version of the protocol and use it
  for all connections. Servers MUST implement the RFC 6455 version of
  the protocol and MAY also implement earlier versions. That is, a
  server MAY check a client HTTP request to see if it matches an earlier
  version of the protocol, and MAY begin communicating using that
  protocol. Section 4.4 of RFC 6455 discusses supporting multiple
  versions of the protocol.

  Servers MUST support binary frames (opcode 2). Servers MAY also
  support text frames (opcode 1). Servers supporting text frames MUST
  implement the base64 subprotocol and accept it when requested by a
  client in the Sec-WebSocket-Protocol header field. Text frames MUST
  NOT be sent by either side if the base64 subprotocol has not been
  negotiated. Any endpoint receiving a text frame when base64 has not
  been negotiated, or a text message that cannot be decoded as base64,
  MUST close the connection.

  A client MUST NOT proceed after receiving any HTTP response status
  code other than 101. In particular, it MUST NOT follow redirections
  such as 301.

  Endpoints SHOULD respond to Ping frames with a single Pong frame, but
  nothing in this specification requires the sending of Ping frames.

  Endpoints SHOULD limit the size of messages they send. All messages
  SHOULD be sent in a single frame.

  Endpoints MUST limit the size of messages and frames that they will
  buffer. Upon receiving such a message (when the sum of the length of
  already-buffered data and the length of the next frame exceeds the
  limit), the endpoint MUST close the connection and SHOULD do so with a
  status code of 1009 (see RFC 6455 section 7.4.1). Endpoints MUST be
  capable of receiving messages containing 1500 octets of binary data;
  this may require buffering up to 2026 bytes of UTF-8âencoded base64
  text.

Questions/extensions

  WebSocket also has a TLS-wrapped version, identified by using the
  "wss" (as opposed to "ws") URL scheme. An advantage of this when
  tunneling through a browser is that the TLS handshake will be exactly
  that of a browser. However, this probably requires the certificates of
  relays' server transport plugins to be trusted by browsers.