Re: [tor-dev] First-time tails/tor user feedback

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:21:09 +0000
Robert Ransom <rransom.8774@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > # Third issue: green onion

> What should they have wanted to do with Vidalia?

Perhaps seeing the progress bar as tor bootstraps would have been
helpful. Perhaps knowing they do have some control over this blackbox
thing called tor browser would have been helpful.

Another thought is that using tor requires some education. Just
downloading it and running is probably dangerous for a subset of users.
One analogy is that tor is a race car. While many know how to
drive a car on the street, driving a race car takes some education and
practice to do safely.

> That is exactly why I suggested the phrase âCongratulations. *This*
> browser is configured to use Tor.â (emphasis added) on
> https://bugs.torproject.org/2289 .  But when I explained on IRC that
> there is a big difference between âthis browserâ and âyour browserâ,
> no one believed that users would interpret them differently.

I agree with you.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact