[tor-dev] Mnemonic 80-bit phrases (proposal)

Hello all.

We've written up our proposal for mnemonic .onion URLs.

See https://docs.google.com/document/d/sT5CulCVl0X5JeOv4W_wC_A/edit?disco=AAAAAERhFsE
for details; please read the full intro for explanations and caveats,
as some are important.

tl;dr: It's a system that would have all three properties of being
secure, distributed, and human-meaningfulâ but would *not* also have
choice of name (though it has the required *canonicality* of names),
and has a somewhat absurdist definition of 'meaningful'. :-P

Please feel free to put comments there or on list.

Right now we're at the stage just before implementation; namely, we
haven't yet collated the necessary dictionaries, but we have a
reasonably good idea of how the system would work, including needed
constraints on the dictionaries. If you have suggestions or comments,
now is a good time to talk about them, so that if any of it affects
the dictionary collation step we don't waste work.

Thanks,
Sai