Re: [tor-dev] [GSoC] APAF Report

On 6/20/12 5:54 PM, Damian Johnson wrote:
> Personally I decided to write my own modules for this functionality
> [1] (including some improvements based on psutil [2]) because a C
> module dependency didn't feel worth this functionality - especially
> since pid lookup is a one-time thing, and doesn't need to be blazingly
> fast.

Eh... if only tor was also available for use "as software library" (Like
silvertunnel & OrLib), we would a lot of less "system integration
complexity"!

There's a lot of effort in many project on "Tor integration hacks" to
use it for application integration requirements.

Imho Tor should before or later really provide clear and standard
guidance and path for integration in 3rd party applications:

- API to build tor within an application
- API to do basic operations on Tor
- Generalized Filesystem I/O (to keep all data, from configuration to
hidden services up to descriptors in memory and/or in a database)

So that "anonymity" feature can be plugged in to existing applications,
like it is possible to plug SSL or OTR in a Chat client.

-naif