Re: silky and tor

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 09:39:47AM -0500, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> I'm not sure about the particulars of silky and
> Tor, but you should be aware that the SILC protocol
> encodes your IP in its packets. See e.g. section 3.1 of
> http://silcnet.org/docs/draft-riikonen-silc-spec-08.txt and section 2.4
> of http://silcnet.org/docs/draft-riikonen-silc-pp-08.txt

It's not as bad as it sounds, according to
http://silcnet.org/docs/draft-riikonen-silc-spec-08.txt
a Client ID is defined as follows:

"128 bit Client ID based on IPv4 addresses:

32 bit  Server ID IP address (bits 1-32)
 8 bit  Random number or counter
88 bit  Truncated MD5 hash value of the nickname
[...]
o Server ID IP address - Indicates the server where this
  client is coming from.  The IP address hence equals the
  server IP address where the client is connected."

/Thomas