Re: Wiki about usage of vservers still up to date? / What are descriptors?

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 06:50:28PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> I see no problem with a customer running Tor as long as they pay for
> the traffic. If the CPU load is considerable, it may ask for a beefier

Tor can be niced to reduce load on the CPU. Also, some virtual machines
such as Xen, OpenVZ, and some of the Solaris 10 features allow you to
set resource limits per virtual server to avoid resource contention.

I used to use a Virtuozzo vserver for security audits, and the operators
were able to set it up to give me full burstable access to the CPU while
still ensuring that other vservers weren't resource-starved.

I would imagine that Tor, niced properly, with a reduced MaxConn
setting, and properly rate-limited wouldn't be abusive on a
properly-configured virtua,l server. But again, YMMV.

--
Re-Interpreting Historic Miracles with SED #141: %s/water/wine/g