Re: Fwd: [Wikitech-l] Planning to tighten TorBlock settings

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
FYI—

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Brion Vibber <brion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Date: Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:44 AM Subject: [Wikitech-l] Planning to tighten TorBlock settings To: Wikimedia developers <wikitech-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

en.wikipedia.org and others have seen a rash of abuse coming via Tor
 in the form of account creations with abusive names and such; this
is taking up a large chunk of CheckUser and oversighter time and effort, which is apparently not too fun.

It looks like the current settings don't generally restrict various actions to a logged-in user when accessing through Tor; is there any objection to tightening this up to restrict edits, account creations,
etc via Tor except when the account is explicitly excepted?

Thank you for bringing this up!         How sad for us all!

I sure hope that the Tor community can quickly effect some sort of short
term solution. The precedent of destination sites restricting
Tor access - even temporarily - is something that must be avoided
(before governments become involved). Even if we have to use a blunt
instrument (e.g. temporarily blocking wikipedia access entirely).