Re: Be ready: We're switching version control systems

> Hello, everyone!  Sometime in the next week or two, I am planning to
> move the repository for Tor software from Subversion to Git.

This is excellent news.

> - Better support for offline development.

This also means that occasional contributors will be able to use the
RCS.

A centralised RCS, such as CVS or SVN, segregates contributors into two
categories: those who have commit rights, and are able to enjoy all the
nice features of the RCS, and those who don't, for whom the RCS is
little more than a way to get the latest sources.

With a decentralised RCS, all contributors are able to use the RCS; if
you're a non-comitter, you work on his private branch, which can be on
a different server or simply on your laptop.  When your code is ready,
you either ask somebody with commit rights to pull your changes into the
official repository, or you push over e-mail.

                                        Juliusz