Re: Version checking (was Re: 25 tbreg relays in directory)

     On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 03:01:30 -0700 (PDT) Tripple Moon
<tripple.moon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

     Laying aside for the moment the matter of how the rest of the tor nodes
should determine the trustworthiness/credibility of the tor instance making
the announcement or even why the tor network, either as a "whole" or as
individual nodes, should care about the integrity of a client (!), how to you
propose to calculate a verification digest--a CRC would not likely be
considered adequately reliable--based upon the executable binary of software
that
	a) comes in many successive version,

	b) can be compiled for many hardware architectures, not all of which
	are necessarily known to the developers,

	c) can be compiled for many operating systems, not all of which are
	necessarily known to the developers, and

	d) can be compiled by untold numbers of versions of many compilers,
	not all of which are necessarily known to the developers?

>IMHO, this kind of "login procedure to enter the tor-network" will make it more secure and manageable.

     More secure and manageable for whom??  Big Brother?  Obviously not for
the supposedly anonymous tor user...jeesh.

>Again, i have _no_ idea at present how the tor program handles things at present, so if its already done like that or even better just disregard what i wrote :D

     It doesn't, and it shouldn't.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG