Re: Polipo and dnsUseGethostbyname - what is the best option and does it matter?

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 04:24:06PM +0100, pumpkin@xxxxxxxxx wrote 2.7K bytes in 64 lines about:
> The standard Polipo configuration file for Ubuntu located at
> https://svn.torproject.org/svn/torbrowser/trunk/build-scripts/config/polipo.conf
> should replace the configuration file one downloads when Polipo is

I believe you mean "The standard polipo configuration file for safely
using Tor".  The standard ubuntu polipo config doesn't use Tor.

> this setting in the configuration file is not important? Or does Polipo
> do the DNS resolution before traffic is passed on to Tor in which case
> the configuration file is crucial? In other words, when is DNS resolved
> when using Tor and Polipo?

In practice, with that config file, dns queries are passed to tor
directly for resolution, not being done by polipo nor the actual system
resolver.

If you change the options, you should see polipo query your local dns
resolver either directly, or via gethostbyname.

I agree the config needs more clarity and to match an actual option as
specified in the info page.  I'll add it as a bug to research.

This is also the case for TBB, not necessarily so for non-tbb use cases.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project

Website: https://www.torproject.org/