Re: TOR Not Starting after upgrade

     On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 07:23:28 -0500 Edward Langenback
<apostle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>krishna e bera wrote:
>>> Any ideas what the problem is?  I'm still getting the same behavior
>>> after several reboots and complete re-installs.
>>
>> 1) Your insecurity software may have detected changed .exe files and
>>    therefore blocked Tor from starting (it is easy to miss the prompt).
>
>Not too easy to miss in the case of Sygate which puts up a large
>'always on top' box asking if the change is ok.
>
>> 2) The Tor might have started but browsing though it with Firefox
>>    not be working due to a legacy Privoxy hanging around (it was not
>>    automatically uninstalled by previous bundles for some reason)
>>    and occupying port 8118 so Polipo cannot start.
>
>I did have Privoxy running.  After shutting it down progress went from
>stuck at 5% to stuck at 80%
>
>> 3) Check the Tor log file for other possibilities.  Check the Windows
>>    Events log for related System and Application events.
>
>Even though I had set the firewall to allow TOR, it was being blocked.
> After I created an explicit rule for TOR allowing it to connect to
>any port, it started working.

     That's good news.  However, it most likely also means that you will
need to do something with the firewall every time that you install a new
tor.  Most firewall/packet filter software for Windows makes a checksum
or digest of each program that is allowed to have network access, and
when an already approved program tries to use the network, its checksum
or digest is calculated afresh and compared with the one already on
record.  If it has changed, then the current process will be blocked
network access until someone approves the new version of the checksum or
digest.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG