Re: [tor-talk] Google disable web-access to gmail for Tor-users?

Could you elaborate a bit on this?  After this discussion I went ahead and tried to create another anonymous gmail account and ran into the "requires SMS" hitch as discussed (and there is no option that I can see to bypass this via other means as others have described)

I have no idea what @your_adb_name_here refers to.  What is an ADB name?  Do you just make something up from thin air?  How about an example?

On Tuesday, April 05, 2011 04:21:32 am Aaron wrote:
> If you must have GMail, I've noticed that accounts created on android
> devices are not subject to these checks. And yes, even when using Tor
> via Orbot.
>
> You don't have an android phone? The following works too:
>
> 1. Install the android sdk/emulator and create an avd. I tested with
> API 8 (android 2.2) + google apis
> 2. launch the emulator: emulator -http-proxy http://127.0.0.1:8118
> @your_adb_name_here (the proxy settings in the gui did *not* work for
> me)
> 3. verify tor is working via http://check.torproject.org
> 4. navigate through settings->accounts&sync->add account->google->create
> 5. solve captcha
> 6. profit
>
> --Aaron

> > First I've heard that they require SMS to *USE* gmail.
> > However, SMS has been required for quite some time now
> > to *CREATE* a new gmail account. There was a thread a
> > few months back regarding creation. And to date, I've not
> > been able to create a new gmail account without SMS from
> > any exit anywhere on the planet. Nor from any residential
> > DHCP pool I have access to.

> > Yeah, they like to pop up red warning banners for avid travelers.
> > I just hit dismiss, no SMS junk required.
> >
> >> In once case, it happened while I was using a pseudonym to contibute
> >> to another open source project and ask questions on a mailinglist.
> >
> > I've never had any problems sending any message anywhere, at all.
> > Only with new account creation. And the occaisional dismissed nag
> > notice.
> >
> >> clicked through the help links and filled out some form explaining my
> >> desire for strong pseudonymity, and they lifted the block without a
> >> cell #.
> >
> > When I try creating a new account, without providing an SMS or
> > other number, there is a form to fill out. I pick "don't have phone" or
> > "don't want to give number" and explain the same. They ignore it.
> > And if I recall, the account is left in a locked state. And since, rightly,
> > no secondary address was provided, they can't reach me anyways.
> > And any cool account name you came up with dies locked with it too.
> >
> > No offense to the list, but fuck google. With all their supposed
> > brain power you'd think they could come up with something
> > a little less brutal than a sledgehammer. Then again, I don't
> > blame them... the GECOS, user, pass, contact, recovery,
> > and mail content is certainly worth many millions more when
> > combined with a phone number. Pigs.

Economics is not practised as a science. Rather, it is a pretentious way to covertly promote political prejudices.
- Fred Harrison