Re: [tor-talk] Google disable web-access to gmail for Tor-users?

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 14:54 -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> > If I understand some Tor users' reasoning, they want to use Tor w/ email
> > for various privacy reasons AND they want to use "really good services &
> > tie-ins" at the same time? ... My questions here are sincere - trying to learn
>
> The shortest answer is that strong pseudonyms are useful, even (or
> especially) in a well connected social environment. Many people want
> to have those links. Many want use some of the services google offers:
> https://www.google.com/intl/en/options/
> Many want to participate in the scene... just not as themselves.
>
> No one here is saying that google is not indeed terribly evil.
> Nor does being social or using google services equate to compromise
> of one's nym. That's up to the user and how they use it. Some keep
> their nym intact, some selectively disclose, some fully.
>
> Google, facebook, twitter, etc are all good entry points into the space,
> whether one chooses to do so pseudonymously or not.
>
> If they forbid access from anonymity networks, that element of usage
> is broken. So people testing and cataloging what works and doesn't,
> and finding workarounds, is a very useful thing.
>
> Some want location masking, some want identity masking, some
> want both.
>
> > Presumably, the email contents would only be hidden from ISPs
> > The weakest link in chain is everything is exposed to Google.
> > Maybe I'll learn something about privacy / security by meaningful
> > input why Tor + Gmail are so important.
>
> They are no more important to privacy/security than any other provider.
> All providers of all services are not to be trusted in that regard. Neither
> is anyone who might be able to trump them. That's old news :)
>
> > IMHO, the "brand recognition" issue ... doesn't make sense.
>
> See the first paragraphs.

Those are very good points.

My usage is just to expand the Tor community and get some modicum of
privacy.  The more "regular" users that use Tor, the more acceptable
it's use will be perceived.  As, if only the "pedophiles" and
"criminals" use it, then it draws more attention and immediately labels
you a bad guy if you're suspected of using Tor.  It also adds to the
cost of those who would try to circumvent it's use.

Take care,
Chris