Re: [tor-talk] endless list of scrubbed circuits

Thus spake Joe Btfsplk (joebtfsplk@xxxxxxx):

> Using vidalia bundle 0.2.10 / 0.2.30 w/ Torbutton 1.3.2a in Vista x64,
> Firefox 4.0
>
> There's an endless, constantly increasing list of scrubbed circuits -
> like below.  It just keeps going thru them like a ticker tape.
> "Apr 08 14:36:37.277 [Notice] We tried for 15 seconds to connect to
> '[scrubbed]' using exit 'politkovskaja'. Retrying on a new circuit."
>
> NOTE:  I CAN connect to some sites using Tor - so it IS working, it's
> just so slow, apparently because of all the scrubbed circuits, it's of
> no use for anything.
>
> Any ideas what's causing this behavior?  I did uninstall / reinstall tor
> bundle.  Have closed Tor & browser, then restarted - no joy.

One of the things that can cause this is a set of bad guards (the
first hop in your Tor circuits). If you got unlucky and Tor picked
only slow guards, this can cause you poor performance.

You can check them out in the vidalia window by noting the first hop
in your circuits. There should only be 3 different nodes chosen for
that first hop. Note you should not post your guard list in public, as
it can be used to identify you.

If that is the issue, you can try using bridges to see if that helps,
or you could try to stop tor and wipe away your tor state file, which
will cause new guards to be chosen.

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist