Re: [tor-talk] To Toggle, or not to Toggle: The End of Torbutton

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 1:33 AM, Mike Perry <mikeperry@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> (blah blah)
> The reason I am discussing this in so much detail here is because I
> believe there is a chance that there are users out there who rely on
> the toggle model and/or their OS Firefox build, and may be confused or
> enraged by the new model. I'm asking this list to get an idea of how
> many of those users there are, and to try to understand what the
> overall costs of this sort of migration are.
>
> I also ask this because I am a heavy user of the toggle model myself,
> and abandoning it is sort of a leap of faith for me, too.
>
> So can anyone bring up any specific issues that may be caused by the
> change?

I consider myself a rather technical user with a lot of knowledge
about the pitfalls of using Tor and security products in general, and
I'm scared shit whenever I want to use torbutton in firefox because
I'm afraid I will forget to toggle it, or toggle it at the wrong time,
or simply do anything wrong. I have created a separate firefox profile
with torbutton always on, and one profile without it, and separating
these is the only sane way.

Thus, I can only agree to 100% that this is a good idea.

The only problem I can come up with at 2 AM is that maintaining a
separate firefox can be a little messy in various linux distributions
unless you happen to have someone build a nice binary for you. I
suppose most of the common distributions will be covered with a
tor-repository and the minor distributions will generally have more
knowledgable users so they can take care of the evenutal mess.

// pipe