Re: [tor-talk] TB for Win

Thus spake Flamsmark (flamsmark@xxxxxxxxx):

> On 8 April 2011 20:29, Mike Perry <mikeperry@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > We're also planning on changing our release structure for Firefox 4.
> > We will very likely be maintaining our own (hopefully small) set of
> > patches against Firefox 4 and shipping Tor Browser Bundle as our only
> > supported platform, and discouraging the advanced tor packages and
> > Torbutton+OS Firefox setups (and removing or unrecommending Torbutton
> > on addons.mozilla.org). This also means that we need to sink a bunch
> > of effort into making sure Tor Browser Bundle is a working solution
> > for people on every platform.
> >
> > So we're not sure exactly when all of this will be ready, but we're
> > working as hard as we can to make it ASAP.
> >

> Does this mean that the modified FF4 & associated add-ons will be available
> in the Tor repository?

Yes.

> If so, will the packages be custom-named, or will they fill the current
> Firefox/Iceweasel dependencies for other programs?

They will be stand-alone packages. No deps, no provides.

> Will the patched version ship with the FF branding?

This is a tricky subject. Since it has taken their lawyers more years
than the SOCKS bug has to even *answer* us on the subject, we're going
to do whatever the hell we think is best, and wait for them to move.
We don't anticipate it happening soon. Since this is meant to be a
short term fork (for them, probably medium for us), our bet is that
they won't even notice.

Right now, the thing is called Minefield, at least on Linux, because
that was most expedient. We probably need to use at least some of the
more visible Firefox graphics in the long run, though.  Remember, it
should have a chance of looking like a regular web browser from a
distance, at least. I think this means it must look as much like
Firefox as possible, and shouldn't say Tor, but yet should still be
obvious to the user that it is a different browser.

My current thought it that this means it calls itself Firefox and uses
the Firefox graphics, but it has a green onion button on the toolbar,
next to the url, signifying Tor use. This may still be too conspicuous
for some users. In fact, a prefs.js issue is preventing the button
from being displayed right now on some platforms, but I think we
actually do want the button there.. Or do we?

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist