Re: [tor-talk] To Toggle, or not to Toggle: The End of Torbutton

Thus spake sigi (tornode@xxxxxxxx):

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 08:29:36AM +0200, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> > Last comment: we should all continue to stress out that Internet is
> > not only made of web sites. If Internet was only about web sites, Tor
> > would had a harder time happening: this new protocol was free to run
> > through the cables. IMHO, associating Tor with only web browsing is like
> > shooting ourselves in our feet: if everyone thinks "Internet = the web"
> > no one notices when providers start to filter strange protocol, make
> > everything travel through stupid proxies or use NAT4444.
>
> I'm using separate tor+privoxy/polipo packages on my computers since
> several years now. Tor and the proxy are starting during the boot on my
> debian-machine. I've set up an own Firefox-Profile with torbutton for
> browsing the web via tor.
>
> I think it would be a no-go to stop serving standalone packages for tor.
> I'm connecting e.g. some of my chat-sessions to my already running
> tor-process, when logging in om my computer. It would be really bad, if
> I had to start a browser-bundle to do this.
>
> I hope, you're not planning to stop developing this standalone-packages?
>
> If this packages will exist furthermore in the future, I could live with
> an own pre-configured Tor-Browser-Bundle - but besides I'd like to have
> the possiility to configure my own Browser with torbutton.

Yeah, we don't have any intention to stop Tor+Vidalia packaging,
because relay operators and experts will have use for them. This
presumably extends to the distributions. Again, I see the system Tor
being used with torsocks, RSS readers, irc, etc. Basically all the
system apps you've rigged through Tor that we haven't audited. Again,
these system apps should not be sharing circuits with your web
activity for anonymity reasons.

We do want to drop the HTTP proxies like a bad habit though:

Both polipo and privoxy are really starting to get unsafe in their
unmaintained states..

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist