Re: [tor-talk] To Toggle, or not to Toggle: The End of Torbutton

On 22/04/2011, Joe Btfsplk <joebtfsplk@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4/22/2011 6:32 AM, Kraktus wrote:
>>
>> If I had a nice high CPU high RAM machine, you mean?
>>
>> ...I'm actually using a similar browser that's
>> close enough that it can still use Firefox 4 add-ons. Also, JonDoFox
>> makes running multiple instances of my non-Firefox quite easy: there's
>> a menu option for it. Anyway, that's not the problem. The problem is
>> that if I actually try to do it, this poor machine basically grinds to
>> a halt.
>>
> Been there before w/ older machines, short on resources.  However,
> situations like yours aren't limited to running multiple instances of
> any specific prgm - it prevents running several apps at once, not just
> multiple browsers.  In your situation, only thing is to limit # of apps
> that auto start in background, & if you need different browser
> configurations, run one instance at a time.  Kind of a pain to close one
> browser / profile then start another.  If you haven't already (& do so
> regularly), stop all unnecessary prgms from auto starting at boot up.
> These can eat up precious resources on older machines.

Already done. It's not any two applications that will do it, just any
two graphical applications, and heavy graphical applications at that.
If I were using Lynx, Links, or even Firebird, assuredly I would not
have this problem. However, Firebird is not remotely up-to-date, and
as for lynx/links, well, I'm afraid support for non-graphical users,
including those using braille outputs, just isn't much of a priority
for most websites these days. (The corporations should be bothered
with ADA complaints.) So I'm going to have this problem with just
about any modern browser capable of supporting all the fanciest most
annoying websites.

A look at top shows that the fork of Firefox I am running is the most
resource intensive application running right now. At the moment, the
resident memory size is a whopping 183 megabytes, and the total memory
size is an incredible 565 megabytes. The idle CPU% is only around
2-5%, but it spikes from 30-65% just from switching tabs. Loading a
page, without any JavaScript or anything fancy like that, can push it
over 70%. In short, my pseudo-Firefox is a huge hog, gorging itself on
my system's resources.

In terms of resident memory usage, most of the programs I'm running
measure in kilobytes, and they tend to top out around 20 megabytes. As
for total memory usage, very few programs go over 100 megabytes, and
even then, none besides my pseudo-firefox go far over. Most are closer
to 20-30 megabytes of total memory.

> An addon, "Tab Mix Plus" gives more options about saving sessions / open
> tabs, history, etc., than Firefox's native session restore.  May make it
> a bit less hassle to close browser, use another profile, close it, & go
> back to origninal.

Thanks, I'll look into that.