Re: [tor-talk] To Toggle, or not to Toggle: The End of Torbutton

On 22/04/2011, andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 11:19:47AM -0500, joebtfsplk@xxxxxxx wrote 1.8K
> bytes in 31 lines about:
> : The operative word for * low resource * machines is
>
> Can we define "low resource" then? A crappy netbook cpu with 512mb of
> ram is pretty low resource, but it runs both tbb and system firefox at
> the same time just fine.

In my case, this is singe core, speed measured in mHz, not GHz. I do
have slightly more memory than said crappy netbook, but only by 128mb.
However, the hard drive is only 4200rpm, so virtual memory is really
slow. The hard drive should be upgraded soon and replaced with a
larger, 5400rpm one. Then I can cram multiple OSes on it *and* have
faster virtual memory!

> If we're talking about much older machines that can barely run one
> instance of firefox, then people have to switch between browsers,
> running only one at a time. TBB is 24MB, a full firefox install on a
> minimal linux install will fit in 1GB or so.
>
> --
> Andrew
> pgp key: 0x74ED336B

There is no Tor Browser Bundle for my operating systems, nor even an
official Firefox. In fact, there's no Tor Browser Bundle that would
work on my CPU, regardless of what operating systems I install in the
future. Tor Browser Bundle looks to be all x86 and amd64.

Fortunately, I actually have two or three options. Yes, I could stop
and restart my pseudo-Firefox every time I want to switch between
anonymous and non-anonymous browsing, perhaps even every time I wanted
to switch between JonDo and Tor. I could also just use a
proxy-switcher, whether the one on JonDoFox or some third party one.
My third choice would be to attempt to find a lighter browser that
would still meet my needs adequately.