Re: [tor-talk] NSA supercomputer

On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 04:45:57PM -0700, Andrea Shepard wrote:
> [1] Since you can test whether a key is correct in polynomial time using two
> blocks of ciphertext, search for keys is in NP and being able to rigorously
> prove security for a block cipher would imply P != NP as a corollary.

Apologies; I have slightly mis-spoken here.  This implication would only
hold if the problem were NP-complete, which I do not believe is known to
be the case for any cipher.  Proving such lower bounds is still, however,
beyond the capabilities of present mathematics.

--
Andrea Shepard
<andrea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>