[tor-talk] Roger's status report, Mar 2013

Five things I did in March 2013:

1) Released Tor 0.2.4.11-alpha:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2013-March/027563.html

2) Attended the "tech@state" conference in DC, where various groups
that the US State Dept is funding got together to talk. I was on a panel
about circumvention technology. Every time I go to DC there are literally
scores of people that it would be useful for me to spend more time with;
now I know why so many people end up moving there.

3) Briefed SponsorF on know what we've been up to in the past few months.
http://freehaven.net/~arma/slides-mar13.pdf

4) Started to explain Tor's ecosystem to Tom (our new project
coordinator). Mainly I started walking him through who's on the people
page, and also explained all the hats I wear and we discussed which are
smartest to try to give away.

5) Reviewed PETS papers. Several of them are Tor-related and are
getting in. I'm shepherding two. More news once the 'accepted papers'
list comes out.

Five smaller-but-still-useful things I did too:

6) Attended the dev meeting in Boston with everybody else. I am
particularly excited about the possibility of finally getting nightly
builds going.

7) Did a guest lecture about Tor and circumvention for the CS security
class at Drexel University.

8) Did a guest lecture about Tor and circumvention for UW Madison:
http://freehaven.net/~arma/slides-madison13.pdf
Also met with Tom Ristenpart about running a fast exit relay at Madison
(they have many gbits of unused bandwidth, if only Tom can wave his dead
chicken while chanting "it's for a research project").

9) Helped move forward a plan for getting user support mails off of
the tor-assistants list, and onto the help@xxxxxxx list. The current
interim plan is that we'll bounce-to-help support mails that arrive to
tor-assistants, and after a few weeks we'll assess how it's going. (I
want to keep using the tor-assistants list for synchronization between
developers when talking to external parties.)

10) Agreed to do a talk at PETools:
http://petools.soic.indiana.edu/

Three of my April 2013 plans:

1) I was substantially offline from March 28 through April 7. Woo.

2) I've been bad at letting jobs@xxxx mails pile up (since we don't have
anybody whose job is to handle jobs).

3) Get my todo list back in working order.