Re: [tor-talk] Bridge Communities?

13.04.2013 06:39, Alex M (Coyo):
> On 04/12/2013 11:01 PM, adrelanos wrote:
>> Griffin Boyce:
>>> There's really nothing keeping you from making a private bridge network.
>>>   The documentation's all there.
>> Indeed. One can even make its own (private) Tor network. It will require
>> a considerable amount of learning, though.
>>
>> It would be interesting to see several competing Tor networks. May or
>> may not happen in long term future, if Tor can attract much more users
>> and relays.
>>
>> Alex probable won't be up for creating an alternative Tor network with
>> that threat model. As soon as you host a relay or directory authority,
>> it's difficult (impossible?) to stay anonymous, you move yourself into
>> the target line by doing so.
>
> With the current Tor network model, this is apparent.
>
> I might fork the Tor codebase and redesign the network from the ground
> up, and see what I can come up with.
>
> Should be interesting.
>
> Even if Tor cannot be salvaged, working with the traditional 3rd
> generation onion routing paradigm should be educational and instructive.

Hi,

I'd like to see a different approach, a different design. Most preferred
would be a well documented public timeline. Even if it fails there might
be good things coming out of it and who says it is going to fail.

I currently don't buy into "The solution is to not publicize relay
servers.", but the Tor people state:

"Requiring every client to know about every router won't scale forever."
"Requiring every directory cache to know every router won't scale forever."

The above are quotes from the dir-spec (0.3)
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/dir-spec.txt

so there might be something the Tor people could learn from you,
successful or not.

(Fun part?)
About assassinating (double ass) the (core?) Tor people....

I have read that you can hire assassins on hidden-services. Wouldn't it
be ironic if one hires an assassin (or many of them) via hidden-services
to take the lives or Tor people?

They tend to pile up on something they call developers meeting (aka
DevMeeting). It's kind of public when and where such a meetings will
take place and who will attend to them.

The US owns drones (and they love to use them), European states buy also
drones so if someone gets accused for treason, which is probably Mr.
Jacob Appelbaum because of his relation to wikileaks, while Tor is also
a threat such a meeting would be a juicy target. With someone killed for
treason or terrorism (or supporting it) the other dead bodies are just
collateral damage.

That doesn't scare me. I'd never want that to happen.

If it doesn't look like an accident (in this case or any other) people
will notice about them missing or being killed. I hope that people will
fight murders.

Tor might be dead, but people will be upset about the death of innocent
people.

What's more concerning is that they could back-door Tor, all it takes is
to turn one developer around, let anyone know about the back-door and
people will loose trust. That could kill Tor as well.

Regards,
Sebastian G. (bastik_tor)