Re: [tor-talk] Tor's reputation problem with pedo, some easy steps the community could take

On 04/29/2013 02:30 PM, Chris Patti wrote:

> Directly pursuant to this, and to my original note: What about a simpler
> solution?
>
> What about simply scouring all the directories, removing links to the pedo
> sites?

This would be a public relations nightmare for the project and a very
bad idea. People use Tor to *avoid* censorship. Imagine the horrible
press we'd get if the project actually *started* censoring content. Plus
you get to the issue of "where does it stop"? Once you start censoring
objectionable or illegal content, what criteria do you use to determine
which content fits?

> And by doing so, you create an environment where people, taking advantage
> of the incredibly awesome work folks have done with OnionBrowser, who
> aren't necessarily Tor savvy can get a sense for what the system can do and
> come away with a positive impression.

No. By doing so you create an environment where people don't trust Tor
any more than they do the open Internet. Some people already claim that
the Tor project is some super secret honeypot run by the US government.
Start censoring content and you'll hear that whine escalate to a howl
pretty quickly.

Anthony