Re: [tor-talk] Tor's reputation problem with pedo, some easy steps the community could take

On 4/29/2013 12:32 PM, Chris Patti wrote:
Tor has a rather severe reputation problem at the moment.  Given the recent
revelations around malware on the network, and the pervasiveness of
pedophilia, I think we should consider a course of action to help boost the
network's PR.

For one - while nobody is interested in acting as the police and stamping
out the pedo material, cleaning up links to pedo sites on the hidden wiki
and the various other link dirs would be a good start.

As a newcomer to Tor, as I explored the various onions out there, I felt as
if practically everywhere I turned there were links taking me to pedo
sites, IRC channels etc.

I recognize that free speech means free speech for everyone, even those
with views that we find objectionable, but there's nothing to stop the
community from turning a cold shoulder to these people who see informed
consent as being an optional or academic concept.

Chris, I agree in principal - about all sorts of illegal activity. But how could that be done w/o *someone* overseeing all the internet & deciding what should / shouldn't be accessible, becoming judge & jury? I don't know a good solution to this old question.

Sure, pedophilia is illegal in most countries & rightly so. But in many countries, accessing Youtube, Twitter, or political info sites is also VERY illegal. Tor doesn't operate only in the U.S.

Even if Tor Project decided your idea is worthy, isn't that a bit like car mfgs enforcing speed limits? A large % of internet users say they don't want censorship, but if anyone's going to shut down sites or stop access to them, that *violate laws* of a given country, shouldn't it be the government of that country?

Ironically, many gov'ts today, including the U.S., were founded by violating current laws or defying the gov't in power. In the U.S., we celebrate that every July 4th. Citizens all over the world applaud their founding fathers for ignoring existing laws or existing gov'ts in power, to promote freedom. Yet, the current gov't *of any country* then wants to squelch dissension to the extent possible. It's always been that way & always will be. That's why it's ironic.