Re: [tor-talk] Tor on OpenBSD 5.6

FTR, I didn't reply to your previous mail because I didn't think it was
the right place to talk. Sorry for the noise.

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 13:40:27 -0700, Seth <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:36:00 -0700, Daniel Jakots
> <vigdis+tor@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Yeah, why using a port/package when you can do everything manually?
>
> The version of Tor that installs from packages with the release
> version of OpenBSD 5.6 is 0.2.4.22. It's sheer madness of course, but
> OP might actually want to run a current version of Tor.

Currently in the port for 5.6 there is 0.2.4.26 which is the old stable.
In three weeks, 5.7 will be out which ship 0.2.5.x.

So yes you can, build it from source, though that's not what I would
advise to someone who can't install a package.

> If the user really wanted 'click on this big shiny button to install
> Tor you mouth-breathing idiot' option, I don't think they would be
> choosing OpenBSD as their operating system.

wtf ...

On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 21:18:57 -0700, Seth <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 15:53:51 -0700, Richard Johnson
> <rdump@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Your strange attitude aside, one can learn much on OpenBSD by
> > updating the ports and building a revised package.
>
> Look, I just get fed up with people being dismissive pricks, both to
> myself and newcomers. The guy came in asking for help, I'm trying to
> help him with some steps to build and install from source that have
> been tested, will work

I wouldn't be as confident as you are. How many times is it written in
the FAQ to not to mix things?

> , and will provide the newcomer with a current
> versions of Tor and LibreSSL

mix things like OpenBSD, which has its own libressl in the source tree,
with libressl -portable? Because I guess it's why there's this FTP
repository, right?

Just for the fun, do you recommend using openssh -portable to have
openssh 6.8 on OpenBSD 5.6?

> which are free from known bugs and vulns.

Do you mean that the libressl present in the OpenBSD 5.6 source tree
has bugs and vulns?

> Compare that to:
>
> "Yeah, why using a port/package when you can do everything manually?
>
> Have fun OP."
>
> > Easy enough to change the version in Makefile, confirm PGP sig,
> > and update distinfo.
>
> Did you even test the above, because I have, and it's not 'easy
> enough'.
>
> Firstly, very high probability that new user is going to get stuck at
> the 'confirm PGP sig' step.

That's a so much better idea to not to check where's the code is
coming, yeah!

> Secondly, changing the version number in the Makefile, updating the
> version, sha256 and file size values in distinfo yields a port that
> FAILS to build with the 0.2.5.12 release.

Maybe because something like a patch has been removed?
You don't even understand what you're doing nor you're being careful.

> Now the newcomer (who is having difficulty installing Tor from
> packages) is in a position where they have to start learning the
> OpenBSD software porting process and debugging build failures of the
> ports system. This is supposed to be helping them out?
>
> Really?

Sorry, I really don't know the solution when some can't sudo pkg_add
tor, or when there's a port to rebuild just cd /usr/port/net/tor &&
sudo make update?
(yes you need a port tree which can be fetched by copy/paste
anoncvs.html)
I don't understand what is the difficulty, otherwise I'd try to
simplify things :(

> So 'strange attitude' aside, yes I'll be contributing steps which
> I've tested myself, that actually work, and don't leave users with
> outdated version of Tor and LibreSSL that contain bugs and
> vulnerabilities.

And maybe they'll break their system. Hopefully no.

Cheers,
Daniel