Re: [tor-talk] [tor-dev] Porting Tor Browser to the BSDs

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 17:19:52 +0000, Yuri wrote:
> There is no need to port TBB to BSD. Not worth of the effort. TBB is
> unable to 100% separate tor and non-tor connections due to the network
> stack architecture.

I'm not sure whether you're barking up the right tree.

> TBB users are typically recommended to disable
> JavaScript, to disable Flash,

TBB comes without javascript.

> ... to not use any plugins and addons, etc.

This is (also) about fingerprinting issues. You're not
anonymous when your HTTP headers look different from
anybody else's.

> This doesn't sound like a very secure
> system. The potential leaks (IP and DNS) are virtually unavoidable with TBB.

TBB is specific browser bundled with (lowercase) tor. The former
has some patches to avoid all kinds of information leakage.

> Security-by-isolation approach provides much better security in general,
> because it relies on the small and simple code in the core of the
> network tunnel.

Depending on what browser (or other tools) you use behind the
isolation you may be fully re-cognizable as the same person
(not identifyable) despite coming from random tor exit nodes.

> Whonix https://www.whonix.org is a very good solution available on all
> BSDs today. For some reason it remains under-appreciated.

Tails also comes to mind.

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."