Re: [tor-talk] TorBirdy seems to connect to the same exit node again and again

Hi Yuri,

"Yuri"  wrote:
>I understand your concerns. But I would also like to
>point out that "New Identity" for most implies new
>identity for everything. This is how, I believe, majority
>of technically not very savvy mass users thinks.

The new identity feature is documented to make *new* connections
appear to be from a different user. It doesn't say anywhere that it
terminates existing application connections. That's an assumption on
the part of the user. The only application where there's an exception
is Tor Browser which is coded to break those connections. It needs to
do this to deal with web bugs. If some other application has open
connections using tor it stand to reason that application has a
purpose for keeping the connection open. Either that application will
close the connection gracefully or not.

It's a hack to force third-party applications to close their
connections explicitly and call it a feature of tor. In truth it's
something that can already be done. Connect to the tor process using
telnet and close the circuits as you see fit. Alternatively connect
using Vidalia and close the circuit. I'm sure there are other ways.
So, in fact, there's nothing to code to get the feature you want as
it's already there. There's no place for the feature in Tor Browser
since it already explicitly closes connections related to open
tabs--allowing the circuits to close gracefully. It remains the
responsibility of any other third-party application to gracefully
close their own connections. If they don't the circuit stays open.
How's that not a bug you would rather fix in the application itself?
--leeroy