[tor-talk] Innocent Seattle Exit Operators And Privacy Advocates Raided - Tor was run out of home

Hi keb and Tor Talkers,

keb wrote:
>An exit node is indistinguishable from the
>computers that it is acting the proxy for (barring ip leaks), from the
>destination site's point of view.  Their own traffic would be mixed in
>with exit node traffic.

>Somewhere is a piece of advice from TorProject recommending people not
>to run an exit node from home for the above and other reasons.

it is a good advice but this time? it doesn't appear that the activists have technically done sth wrong. in contrary please take a moment to read that passage of the article.

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2016/03/30/23885710/police-go-on-fishing-expedition-search-the-home-of-seattle-privacy-activists-who-maintain-tor-network
Bultmann and Robinson run a Tor exit node out of their home
Many of those who maintain the network nodes have been raided by the FBI across the country.

the fbi is quite active these days

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-encryption-letter
The Federal Bureau of Investigation has assured law enforcement across the United States that it will help unlock mobile devices such as iPhones involved in investigations when it is allowed by law and policy.

the civil forfeiture may help other law enforcements to comply with feds while it is removed from their state law

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/28/the-feds-have-resumed-a-controversial-program-that-lets-cops-take-stuff-and-keep-it/
The "Equitable Sharing Program" gives police the option of prosecuting some asset forfeiture cases under federal instead of state law, particularly in instances where local law enforcement officers have a relationship with federal authorities as part of a joint task force. Federal forfeiture policies are more permissive than many state policies, allowing police to keep up to 80 percent of assets they seize.
Asset forfeiture is fast growing -- in 2014, for instance, federal authorities seized more than $5 billion in assets. That's more than the value of assets lost in every single burglary that year.

with the help of the world 16 million citizens have pulled down the wall of mass surveillance in 1989 just to realize to be mass surveillanced with more modern devices. there will be a 4.500 qkm camp for refugees near syria/turkey. refugecity they call it even without concrete coordinates right now. how long will it take us to pull down the wall of fear. with any election these days the voters select their smaller terrifying future or - while their live is already without hope - the most worrying future for others painted by media/politicians. the panama paper project comes in the nick of time for the us election. but why can't we scroll through the database on our own as we can in wikileaks files? Is that really a leak as we are comfortable used to from the whistle-blowers JA supports.

and why is https://www.seattleprivacy.org/ down for Tor users even with any other proxy i've tested even google translation don't work
there are some really nice categories as snippets show. well perhaps somebody is already on to it and my browser can't connect cause of the traffic