Re: [tor-talk] 1 Million People use Facebook over Tor

On 23.04.16 07:09, juan wrote:
On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 23:02:11 -0400
Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 11:41:09AM +1000, Peter Tonoli wrote:
This is a real success story for Tor
I agree!

Thank you Alec and other security people at Facebook for seeing the
value in secure communications, and also for being willing to stand up
and talk about numbers.

For those who are now thinking "wait, what's the point in using Tor
when going to Facebook?",

	Right, there isnt any. This is just your usual and stupid
	propaganda. Now go get a few more grants from the
	pentagon.

My little story. Facebook banned me after a month of use. I never logged in via Tor. I was not told the reason for the ban. I guess it's because I didn't use my real name. Anyhow, thank you for providing us your Onion website! :-)

Then suddenly Iran blocked Facebook, a good chunk of the Persian
Facebook population switched over to reaching Facebook via Tor, and he
became a huge Tor fan because otherwise those users would have been cut
off.
The thing is that Tor is bad for circumventing censorship because Tor is not a masked proxy. Guess what will happen when Facebook rulers realize this.