Re: A small how-to - request for comments

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 04:47:49PM +0200, Thomas Sj?gren wrote:
> Hi,
> I wrote up a small guide on how to use Tor with various software a
> couple of days ago.
> The document is available at
> http://www.northernsecurity.net/articles/torify.html

Thanks, Thomas!  Cool HOWTO.  Have you thought about adding it to the
wiki?  (http://wiki.noreply.org/wiki/TheOnionRouter)

I worry about sections 2 through 4, though.  One warning about using
tsocks in this way, however.

tsocks correctly replaces 'connect' calls with calls to your SOCKS
proxy (Tor).  But tsocks doesn't do anything about requests to your
DNS server.  This means that if you refer to any machines by hostname
when you're using tsocks, you'll be sending that hostname over the
network, perhaps leaking the fact that you are about to connect to the
corresponding server.

Tor 0.0.8 has a workaround for this problem, until we can hack tsocks
(or a work-alike) to support DNS.  Instead of using a hostname
directly, first use 'tor-resolve' to resolve the hostname into an IP
(via Tor) and then use that IP address with your tsocks-ified
application.

--
Nick Mathewson
(PGP key changed on 15Aug2004; see http://wangafu.net/key.txt)