Re: Re[2]: Tor Question

Steve, you can open sockets and send data down them natively in Gecko-based apps... and the XPCOM components are scriptable, so you don't have to write any C/C++. So, there's no need to write an command-line program to send the plaintext down the socket (only to launch it from Torpark). Let me know if you need pointers.

-eric

----- Original Message ----
From: Arrakistor <arrakistor@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Roger Dingledine <or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 1, 2006 11:37:17 PM
Subject: Re[2]: Tor Question

Roger,

Okay,  so  i  COULD  send the plaintext signal to the control port and
have  success  under win32. I thought you said this, but questioned my
memory once i read the code.

The  reason I ask about winking nodes is that I added a button to kill
the  tor  process.  When  torpark  notices  that  there is no longer a
tor.exe  process,  it  restarts it. Occasionally the tor process would
instantly  exit  for  some reason, too infrequent/inconsistent to tell
everyone to log, but frequent enough to be an annoyance. The upshot is
that  if  you  want  to flush your tor circuit, you can simply click a
button  on  the  toolbar  and  it  gets  you a new circuit. I did this
because  often a user will be surfing and circuit fails for one reason
or another and they have to shut down and restart the browser to get a
new  circuit.  Because the process is so dirty, I am worried about how
it may affect the tor network.

I still have yet to heavily research making torpark actually talk with
tor.exe  instead  of  kicking it around. I wonder if it is possible to
pipe  these  plaintexts  directly to the controlport with some command
line program.

Regards,
Arrakistor