Re: Tor bug?: AllowInvalidNodes

This is all very worrying.

First I find out that my torcc config file which is configured to "AllowUnverifiedNodes middle,rendezvous" is a no longer valid config statement.

Then I find out that the replacement "AllowInvalidNodes middle,rendezvous" doesnt work.

Now I find out that it was never intended to work and that it was never an  "AllowUnverifiedNodes" replacement.

Q. Were we Alerted to such an important change?

If some "unverifiednode" exit server adversary has set themselves up in business of monitoring TOR users then isnt it because  "AllowUnverifiedNodes" was removed (effectively).

I agree, the latest change will make little to secure Tor exit servers now from this adversary, they'll just change their IP addresses to get around it. Surely they will be watching this forum.

Perhaps the best thing would be to re-instate  "AllowUnverifiedNodes" immediately and force this adversary to register their nodes.

Even if they forge their identities for the sake of the registration at least, in future, we would have forewarning which would make it easier to monitor and alert Tor users to potential (I assume this is a countries security service) mass logging at Tor exit nodes.

Once again I repeat this is ALL very worrying.

Is there a co-incidence with the removal of  "AllowUnverifiedNodes" and the appearance of these adversary servers?

I must say this couldnt have worked out any worse even if the devs had been working for the adversary.

Personally, I think its irrelevant today, that at one time persons had to be known personally to run a verified server. Quaint but irrelevant. But hey, I dont mind having someone round to my place from the UK to verify me. Why not have 3 levels of security - level 2 - Registered - just what we have now. Level 1 - Verified - visit their setup. Level 3 - unregistered & unverified. And give us a config statement to use these levels or not.

On a related issue, I have attempted to the "ExcludeNodes" config and it doesnt seem to work. I am sure that of the dozens of nodes I've tried to exclude (and failed to exclude - test only) ALL of them cannot be my "guard" nodes. Ok this might only be winOS, perhaps everyone should check it out for themselves. Just to be sure. I've noticed others have seen similar. Re-check.

This adds to the worry.

You cant exclude nodes, you cant insist on verification. What can you do that works ?

CA