Re: Polipo web proxy

Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> What I'd like to do actually is move to some other http proxy one day.

I'd like to hear your reasons and if you tried Privoxy's cvs version
already.

Please have a look at:
http://ijbswa.cvs.sourceforge.net/ijbswa/current/ChangeLog?revision=1.35
and:
http://www.fabiankeil.de/sourcecode/privoxy/
to see the changes, at least some of them are relevant for Tor users.

> I am thinking Polipo is a nice next option:
> http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/polipo/
> I've been using it the past month or two with good success. Can other
> people here give it a try and see if we can clean it up? (You will need
> the latest development version.)

I haven't tried it yet, but to me it doesn't look like a Privoxy
replacement, but more like a nice addition for the proxy chain.

Browser -> Privoxy -> Polipo -> Tor

Should bring you HTTP pipelining without loosing Privoxy's
filtering capabilities.

> 2) Polipo doesn't do as much application-level scrubbing as Privoxy tries
> to do. But Privoxy isn't very good at it anymore anyway, and Firefox
> is getting better.

As far as I can see, Polipo merely blocks HTTP headers if requested.
Its referrer blocking seems to be smarter than the one of Privoxy 3.0.3,
but Privoxy's cvs version offers the hide-referrer option conditional-block,
which should be equivalent to Polipo's "maybe" setting.

> 3) I've seen some funny behavior from its caching. But Privoxy also
> gives funny behavior. And Polipo breaks fewer sites than Privoxy does. :)

At least some of the "funny behaviour" should be fixed in cvs,
and if you disable the more aggressive Privoxy filters,
the site breaking problem should be solved as well.

Please let me know if you still see "funny behaviour"
with Privoxy's cvs version that isn't caused by your
filter choice.

Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de/