Re: What's the benefit of a permanent "EntryGuard"?

>You could just set UseEntryGuards to 0.

I'm a newbie at this, so bear with me... In Mac OS X, I think I found the man-config file in the directory of /library/tor/man/man1/tor.1 . Here's the option value:

\fBUseEntryGuards \fR\fI0|1\fP
If this option is set to 1, we pick a few long-term entry servers, and
try to stick with them.  This is desirable because
constantly changing servers increases the odds that an adversary who owns
some servers will observe a fraction of your paths.
(Defaults to
0.)
.LP
.TP

Notice that I changed the default from 1 to 0. After the config change, I started Tor and noticed that I am still accepting EntryGuards. This must not be the right config file?

I guess you guys are right about keeping EntryGuards from people that you trust are only running one server. I'll check out that list, and will probably edit the "state" file to accept people who have fast, valid server with a name and e-mail address.

Anyway, I would still like help on how to configure Tor options in Mac OS X. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-John