Re: Proposal: Two hop paths from entry guards

(Response to an old message on or-dev, pasted below)

Could not we accomplish the about same thing by using a standard,
three hop circuit, where the middleman is also and exit node?

Alice (who is an entry guard) -> entry node -> middleman node (who
also allows exits) -> exit node

The entry node would then not know if it was an entry or a middleman
node, since the next hop would allow exits, no?

This would have the same weaknesses as below, but if someone did
figure out you were playing this game, you would still have the
standard three-hop circuit.  Hence, it would be less risky for exit
nodes to try it, although it still would not work as well for them.
Also, the entry node might notice the middleman node was taking rather
long to respond.

Of course, if many people did this, it would put further strain on
exit nodes.  However, since it is only useful to people running Tor
nodes, perhaps it would not be too much strain.