Re: The pirate bay, torrent and TOR

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Teddy Smith <teddks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I do see a possible risk here, though: How easy would it be for the
> MAFIAA to run hostile exits that killed connections to trackers? They
> (or their proxies, e.g., Media Defender and the like) seem exactly the
> type to do this, and they definitely have the resources. So if Tor was
> to be used as a method of bypassing tracker censorship, the trackers
> should probably be advised to run their own nodes.

That wouldn't affect the torrent too badly; clients will keep
downloading without complaints even if they can only get to the
tracker once in a while.  As long as you make good connections to the
tracker occasionally, you're fine.

Of course, even that isn't really needed, since most BT clients these
days will run just fine for public torrents without ever speaking to
the tracker, and instead just doing P2P communications only.