Re: Couple more questions

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 08:58:07AM +0300, moeedsalam@xxxxxxxxx wrote 1.5K bytes in 31 lines about:
: 1) I noticed that the Tor-IM-Browser package uses GAIM, routed through SOCKS
: 5:9050. If I am using GAIM with TOR/Privoxy, should i set Gaim to use SOCKS
: 5:9050 or,  or HTTP 127.0.0.1:8118 and routing it through privoxy?

I believe pidgin won't leak your dns requests if you use socks 5 on port
9050 through tor directly.   At least, my version of 2.4.1 doesn't leak
dns requests with this configuration.

: 2) I am using Firefox routed to 8080 proxomitron routed to 8118 privoxy. Any
: comments on this? I hope I am still preventing DNS leakage, as it seem like
: Proxomitron gives me more filtering of scripts, etc than prvixy.

If you use torbutton with firefox, it won't leak dns requests anyway.
If not using torbutton, you should make sure
network.proxy.socks_remote_dns = true is set in about:config.

: 3) Should I change from privoxy to polipo? I am a windows xp user.

This is up to you.  polipo for windows is still a work in progress,
functionality like the forbidden file and disk cache don't work well
yet.  More specifically, they work well if you install polipo without
using any spaces in your path to polipo and the forbidden file.

--
Andrew