Re: Comcast throws down gauntlet to residential accounts

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 01:39:44PM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
>[...]
> to the cablemodem.  I was told that having *any* ports "open facing the
> Internet" was a violation of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) for
> residential accounts.  [...]

This would be crippling if true - residential VOIP and instant messaging
requires open ports and does so be default.  Luckily the person was incorrect.

There are only two relevant lines in their AUP at http://www.comcast.net/terms/use/
Under Technical Restrictions it says you must not
* use or run dedicated, stand-alone equipment or servers from the Premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises local area network (“Premises LAN”), also commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of prohibited equipment and servers include, but are not limited to, e-mail, Web hosting, file sharing, and proxy services and servers;
* use or run programs from the Premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises LAN, except for personal and non-commercial residential use;
As you can see proxies are specifically named;
say bye to your Tor relay under Comcast residential contract.