Re: Comcast throws down gauntlet to residential accounts

     Jon, Martin, et al.:  please stop double-posting.  There is only
one or-talk mailing list, even though it has two addresses.
     On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 23:04:05 +0000 Jon Cosby <jon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 13:22 -0700, Martin Fick wrote:
>> A right is something someone should not be able to
>> prevent you from doing, not something that should be
>> provided to you.  I believe that "you have the right
>> to be a space tourist if you want to be", but, of
>> course, that does not imply that I believe that you
>> should be able to become a space tourist for $10
>> (unless someone offers it to you at this price
>> voluntarily).  The right to do something and the
>> means to do it are two completely separate issues.
>>

>We aren't talking about the net a source of amusement. It is an
>essential means for news, information, communication and political
>speech. Consider what some people use Tor for. As it is, access in the
>US is controlled by a few powerful telecoms, and if one of them
>arbitrarily decides to preclude Tor or other anonymity programs, it will
>have wide effects.
>
>I would not use Comcast, wouldn't trust them given their history (e.g.,
>BitTorrent). They're under-handed, lying and basically corrupt. To the
>OP, consider changing services.

     Thanks.  I would indeed like to switch to Verizon, which gets good
reviews around here for its Internet services.  The hangups for me are
the money involved and the fixed-term contracts.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG