Re: Annoying loop situation

     On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 12:27:22 +0100 Bob Williams
<security@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Saturday 22 August 2009 10:33:01 downie - wrote:
>> From: security@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> > [superfluous headers deleted  --SB]

>> > In what way?
>>
>> [edit]
>>
>> > forward-socks4a	/	127.0.0.1:9050	.
>> > forward-socks5	/	127.0.0.1:9050	.
>>
>> As I understand it (Library/Privoxy/user-manual/config.html Section 7.5.2)
>> those lines forward all requests from Privoxy through Tor: if you want
>> Privoxy filtering without using Tor in client mode, you have to comment
>> those lines out. Then if at some point you *do* want to use Tor in client
>> mode (still with Privoxy), you have to reinstate them. Wiser heads may need
>> to confirm this...
>> GD
>>
>That makes sense. It may be that I'll have to settle for not using privoxy for
>my normal browsing. My main 'tor' aim is to provide a relay. If I browse with
>torbutton enabled, I get funny results for Google searches, in languages that
>depend on the location of the exit node ;)

     You could run two instances of privoxy if you like, each with its own,
separate configuration file, one of which forwards everything to tor's SOCKS
port and the other of which does not.  Then use switchproxy or foxyproxy or
some other similar plug-in to switch between the two instances of privoxy.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG