Re: tracking locally originated traffic from an exit node ... ?

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010, Martin Fick wrote:

So ... if I've got a 5 or 10 mbps exit node with a healthy
list of connections, can I use lynx locally to browse
anonymously ?

I suspect that latencies would strongly differentiate your
traffic from regular tor exit node traffic.  Also, while
you may have a decent amount of tor bandwidth, how much of
that bandwidth can actually be used by an individual tor
user?  Individual tor users going through at least 2
other nodes before yours may still be severely BW limited
before  reaching your exit node.  If your traffic is not
so BW limited, it will likely stand out again.

Ok, I'd like to address both cases...

There's really no way they could see latency unless they had compromised the system itself. I'm speaking of logging on locally to the tor node itself and using a console based application, so only I would see the latency ...

As for the speed, that may be the case, but I don't think it's _necessarily_ the case. That is, it might look interesting that particular connections were high bandwidth, but is there anything implied literally in the code that would preclude that ?