Re: Restricted Exit Policy Port Suggestions?

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 03:05:24AM -0700, mikeperry@xxxxxxxxxx wrote 1.8K bytes in 55 lines about:
: It's become clear that it is almost impossible to run an exit node
: with the default exit policy in the USA, due to bittorrent DMCA abuse
: spambots. I believe this means that we should try to come up with one
: or more standard, reduced exit policy sets that allow use of the
: majority of popular internet services without attracting bittorrent
: users and associated spam.

Giving in to the automated accusations of DMCA violations is a sad
statement on the contemporary Internet.  It seems the chilling effects
of the DMCA are so palpable, no one wants to fight back any more, not
users and not ISPs. See http://chillingeffects.org/ for more analysis
and options on how to respond. Are there no ISPs/datacenters left in the
USA willing to defend the First Amendment of the US Constitution and the
user's legal protections under patent/trademark/copyright laws?

: 1. Low Abuse (above list, possibly minus 465, 587 and 563)
: 2. Medium Abuse (above list, plus IRC)
: 3. High Abuse (default exit policy)

I wouldn't call them varying levels of abuse, as the name alone implies
exiting Tor traffic generates abuse.  It doesn't.  Many exit nodes run
without incident for years.  We could probably better study/poll exit
node operators and ask how many abuse complaints or dmca notices they
receive over time to get more data on this topic.  And of course,
everyone forgets their Tor exit relay will transmit TB of normal traffic
without incident.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project