DuckDuckGo now operates a Tor exit enclave

http://www.gabrielweinberg.com/blog/2010/08/duckduckgo-now-operates-a-tor-exit-enclave.html

DuckDuckGo now operates a Tor exit enclave

By Gabriel Weinberg on August 13, 2010 9:30 AM

Tor enables Internet anonymity by routing your traffic through a series of
encrypted relays.

DuckDuckGo now operates one of these relays, and more importantly an exit
enclave for DDG search engine traffic.

That means if you're on Tor, and you access DDG, you'll likely exit through
our relay and get service much faster. Tor can be slow, but this should speed
it up a bit (when using DuckDuckGo).

I believe this fits right in line with our privacy policy. Using Tor and DDG,
you can now be end to end anonymous with your searching. And if you use our
encrypted homepage, you can be end to end encrypted as well.

Thanks to James Toy for the idea and for helping to make it happen.

I should point out that people are often scared of operating Tor relays due
to potential abuse issues. Those issues scared me off too, at first. But with
this exit enclave setup, there are no abuse issues. Only DDG traffic exits
from our relay.

Even if you have only 20KB of bandwidth to spare, you can set up a bridge
relay that just routes traffic between nodes and never lets anyone out
through your relay. That helps the cause, and it is really easy to set up.
You can limit bandwidth to just the amount you want to give. Check out the
FAQ.