Re: torcheck failing in reality

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 17:29:18 +0000 Praedor Atrebates
<praedor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:45:05 pm you wrote:
>> I am running tor 0.2.1.26, vidalia 0.1.15 on Mandriva with
>privoxy.  Tor is running and according to vidalia I can see my
>node and everything else.  If I turn on the torbutton in firefox
>(and check the proxy settings) and then go to
>http://check.torproject.org it gives me a nice big
>"Congratulations" because I'm using tor and then it shows the
>IP...but it is exactly MY IP.  It isn't covered at all by tor.  So
>why would this page declare that I'm using tor and then provide me
>with my actual IP address as evidence?

I guess check.torproject.org (btw: you should allways use the https
version of it) just compairs your source IP with the list of exit-
nodes (what else should it be doing?).

And because your source IP matches with an exit-node:
96.60.223.5
http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/router_detail.php?FP=a0470c0ea30c3a4d5
8048db134b8f9e7c6b52d6c

it will always tell you, that you are using tor even if you don't.