Re: Bigger Thinking [was: Tor Project 2008 Tax Return]

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 10:53:48PM -0600, Jim wrote:
> I connect to the Internet with dialup.  I have been successfully using
> Tor clients for 4+ years.  One of the issues with using Tor over a slow
> connection is the amount of time it takes to update the information
> about the network when Tor is first started after having been off-line
> for a while.  Depending on connection speed and how long the client has
> been off-line, this typically takes about 3 to 10 minutes.  Perhaps a
> bit longer.  My experience is that during this time the connection is
> pretty much useless for any other purpose.

Yep.

> While inconvenient, this situation is certainly manageable.  My concern
> has been what happens as the Tor network grows.  At some point the delay
> would start being a serious problem.

Here's some reading:

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/overhead-directory-info%3A-past%2C-present%2C-future

We haven't gotten the "microdescriptor" out in practice yet, but
it's on its way:

>  Perhaps with a much larger Tor
> network, each client doesn't actually have to know about all of the
> nodes but can make do with a reasonably sized "sampling."

Most ways to do this are bad news:
http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#danezis-pet2008

But it probably is how the distant future will look:
http://www.hatswitch.org/~nikita/papers/shadowwalker-ccs09.pdf
http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#ccs09-torsk
http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#wpes09-dht-attack

--Roger